History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Rock, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3379 / 52°20'16"N

Longitude: -2.3954 / 2°23'43"W

OS Eastings: 373154

OS Northings: 271159

OS Grid: SO731711

Mapcode National: GBR 0BV.F6P

Mapcode Global: VH91Y.FHHN

Plus Code: 9C4V8JQ3+4R

Entry Name: Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul

Listing Date: 25 February 1958

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1100696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156976

Location: Rock, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY14

County: Worcestershire

Civil Parish: Rock

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Rock with Heightington

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/326 Church of Saint Peter
and Saint Paul


Parish church. Late C12, extended C14 and in 1510, restored in 1861 by
F Preedy, and tower in 1881. West tower 1510, nave and chancel C12,
vestry C14, south aisle and south chapel 1510. West tower: three stages,
diagonal buttresses, crenellated parapet, belfry stage: one window to each
side of four trefoiled lights under a 4-centred head; first stage: one
window to each side has two cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred head;
ground stage: west window of four pointed lights under 2-centred head with
label; nave: north wall: divided into four bays by flat pilasters, eroded
corbel table; entrance in bay to right of centre is in a gabled projection
(of about 500 mm) with an enriched arch of three orders with jamb shafts;
windows in other bays are paired, the left-hand window of each pair blind;
all with semi-circular heads and jamb shafts; also a low restored C14 window
in left-hand bay of two cinquefoiled lights under pointed head; south aisle
and chapel: crenellated parapet,four bays divided by stepped buttresses,
1 + 2 + 1 + 1 windows, mostly two trefoiled lights under 2-centred head with
hollow moulded responds; entrance to aisle in west bay has a triangular head,
moulded surround and a C19 door; clerestorey of nave has four windows: three
are of two ogee lights under a square head, that to east is a single light
with square head; chancel: three bays divided by flat pilasters, C14 vestry
in bay to left (now heating chamber) blind in this elevation, central bay
has a C12 window with semi-circular head and jamb shafts, right-hand bay has
a restored C14 window of two trefoiled lights under a 2-centred arch, the
semi-circular head of a C12 window visible above, east window: restored C14
with three trefoiled lights under 2-centred head. Interior: nave: tall tower
arch has a 2-centred head and one hollow moulded order, chancel arch: highly
decorative C12 arch of three orders with engaged jamb shafts and elaborately
carved capitals, originally semi-circular, but now flattened as a result of
settlement; south arcade: four bays with hollow moulded octagonal columns,
4-centred arches; chancel: two-bay arcade to south chapel as in south aisle;
division between south aisle and south chapel treated in manner of a flying
buttress. Roofs: lean-to timber roofs of south aisle and chapel are C19;
nave roof has common rafters with collars braced by straight braces and with
ashlar pieces, date uncertain, but probably medieval; chancel perhaps C16,
four-bay roof with arch-braced collars, two purlins and two tiers of curved
wind-braces, and with three inserted tie-beam trusses which have three struts
to-collar and V-struts in apex. Fittings: mainly C19 with stone pulpit.
Font C12 with low relief strapwork decoration to bowl on a C19 cluster of
four engaged shafts. In south chapel a medieval altar slab with crudely cut
consecration crosses set on a late C20 pedestal; set in south wall a memorial
slab bearing incised figure of a priest: Richard Smith, died 1554; to north-
east corner of south chapel a table tomb with three quatrefoils enclosing
shields to each side bearing traces of colour, top has an incised canopy,
the inscription (removed) recorded the date of the 1510 extensions. Stocks
and whipping post are at the west end of the nave, with a heavily studded
"dug-out" medieval chest. (VCH 4, pp 324 - 326; BoE, pp 252 - 253).

Listing NGR: SO7315471158

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.