This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6473 / 51°38'50"N
Longitude: -0.5169 / 0°31'0"W
OS Eastings: 502712
OS Northings: 195321
OS Grid: TQ027953
Mapcode National: GBR 02.SF9
Mapcode Global: VHFSK.0V3J
Entry Name: Kings John's Farm, Penn Cottage, Penn Farm and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 19 May 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100897
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158726
Location: Chorleywood, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD3
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Chorleywood
Built-Up Area: Chorleywood
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chorleywood St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TQ 09 NW CHORLEYWOOD BERRY LANE
5/85 King John's Farm,
19.5.50 Penn Cottage, Penn
Farm and Garden Wall
Large house, now 3 dwellings. Early C16, restored and extended c.1910 by
A. Capell. Timber frame core on a brick base with brick nogging, part
rendered and tile hung. Extended in rendered brick with sham timber
frame applied in a Vernacular Revival Style. Tiled roofs. Originally a
large 3 bay house, wings added at both ends. All 2 storeys. Inner
elevation to enclosed garden was original front. At left end of large
hall bay is original plank door with iron strap hinges, moulded 4
centred head and jambs in moulded squared surround. Flanking c.1910
timber mullion leaded 4 light casements. Exposed frame, posts of large
scantling and close studding. Continuously jettied first floor on a
moulded bressumer, c.1910 1 and 2 light casements, exposed posts, studs
and curved braces, c.1910 applied ornament. At right end of original
building is an original stack with a rebuilt cap. 2 stacks with over-
sailing caps inserted to left. Roof hipped to left over service bays.
Attached at right end is c.1910 entrance and stair block with a wing
projecting forward. Present entrance front or right end is entirely
c.1910. Gabled timber porch with a 4 centred head and Gothic traceried
plank door. First floor 4 light oriel. Roof hipped to front. Wing to
left with leaded light casements, an external stack and hipped roof
adjoins Penn Cottage. To garden this wing is similar with sham timber
framing and gabled dormers. Penn Cottage was formerly a barn or stable
building. C17, extended and altered c.1910 and later. Red brick, largely
English bond, part whitewashed. Rendered brick additions. Tiled roofs. 2
storey gable ended block with c.1910 entrance porch at right end adjoin-
ing King John's Farm. Porch has 1 and 2 light leaded pane casements
flanking door, half hipped roof. In gable end of C17 block a 2 light
window, moulded kneelers, elsewhere 1 and 3 light inserted casements.
Plinth. Ground floor slit in left gable end wall which is rebuilt with
sham timber framing. 1 storey block added to left. Whitewashed to rear.
Attached at left end from garden is Penn Farm, all c.1910. To garden a
jettied first floor, leaded light casements, first floor gabled oriel
with applied ornament. Hipped roof with an extruded end stack with 2
diagonal shafts. Outer or entrance front of Penn Farm has scattered
leaded light casements, sham timber framing on first floor with trefoil
and pargetted ornament. Rear of King John's Farm, on right return from
present entrance, entirely rebuilt c.1910. 4 centred head to plank door,
scattered leaded light casements, first floor part decoratively tilehung,
part sham timber framed, pargetting, plasterwork vine scroll frieze
between storeys. Gabled dormers. Interior: ground floor stop chamfered
binding beam and joists, curved braces, jowled posts, large C18 fire-
place replacing an earlier one. Repositioned early C17 stair in entrance
hall with barley sugar balusters, ball finials to panelled newel posts.
Curved braces to cambered tie beams. Queen struts to collars clasping
purlins, curved windbraces. Attached to left end of Penn Cottage is a
brick wall enclosing front garden. About 2m in height, plinth, later
buttresses, slit opening. W. Penn was married here in 1672. (Country Life
XXXI: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TQ0271295321
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings