This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6934 / 51°41'36"N
Longitude: -0.4337 / 0°26'1"W
OS Eastings: 508354
OS Northings: 200570
OS Grid: TL083005
Mapcode National: GBR G7F.Z01
Mapcode Global: VHFSD.FPKP
Entry Name: The King's Lodge
Listing Date: 2 April 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100913
English Heritage Legacy ID: 158660
Location: Abbots Langley, Three Rivers, Hertfordshire, WD4
District: Three Rivers
Civil Parish: Abbots Langley
Built-Up Area: Watford
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Langleybury St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL OO SE ABBOTS LANGLEY BRIDGE ROAD
3/13 No. 28
9.4.66 (The King's Lodge)
Former house, now restaurant. Late C15 origins, largely rebuilt c.1640.
Late C18 brick refronting and extension, extended C19 and C20. Timber
frame, red brick front and additions. Tiled roof. C17 3 bay lobby entry
replacing hall with earlier service bay to left, extended by 1 bay at
both ends. 2 storeys and attic. Carved bracketed hood over entrance. 4
ground floor 3 light casements with arched headed lights, gauged brick
flat arched heads, 3 similar first floor windows without flat arches.
Over entrance and in left bay early C20 floral neo C17 plasterwork
panels, that over entrance dated 1642. C18 left bay has an entrance with
a carved bracketed hood. First floor 3 light casement as on main range.
C19 right bay has a ground floor 2 light leaded pane casement. First
floor plaster panel. Dentilled eaves throughout. Cruciform axial ridge
stack. Left end stack. To rear original parlour bay has a rendered gable
with exposed purlins and a large double shafted C17 external stack with
offsets. Gable and lean-to outshuts and a short C19 wing to rear right.
Interior: early C17 plasterwork in ground floor room. Stuart Royal Arms
with 'C R' and '1642' on chimney breast, flanking lion, unicorn and
foliated fleur-de-lys with vine scroll border, ceiling with binding
beams, 16 panels with vine scroll borders, fleur-de-lys, lion, unicorn,
rosette and Royal Arms. Some exposed framing, ovolo moulded stop
chamfered fireplace lintel. 1 storey C20 wing to rear not of special
interest. (Country Life 9.4.43: M Puloy Herts Archaeology, vol.8, 1983,
p. 163: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL0835400570
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings