This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.912 / 51°54'43"N
Longitude: -0.0742 / 0°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 532563
OS Northings: 225473
OS Grid: TL325254
Mapcode National: GBR K9D.02P
Mapcode Global: VHGP2.N6NL
Entry Name: Farmhouse at Chapel Farm Including Former Congregational Chapel
Listing Date: 31 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101421
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159538
Location: Ardeley, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG2
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Ardeley
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ardeley
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 3225 ARDELEY WOOD END
10/3 Farmhouse at Chapel Farm
- Congregational Chapel
House, and former Chapel, now one property. House late C16.
Timber frame with close-studding exposed on front and rear.
Steep old red tile roof. A 2-storeys, 5-bay, 3-cell plan house
facing S with a continuous front jetty and central chimney
backing onto cross passage a third from the W end. C17 red brick
chimney of conjoined square shafts. Winding stair to N of
chimney (renewed). Hall in middle with axial beam moulded with
double cyma. Unheated parlour at E end with exposed framing in
walls and upper floor structure. Joists rest on a rail in the
rear (N) wall are not jointed to wall. Service room at W end
formerly had a screen separating it from the cross-passage. S
entrance by moulded 4-centred arched doorway with carved
spandrels. 3 windows front with moulded and carved bressumer,
small 2-light flush casement windows on upper floor and larger
ones on ground floor. Plank door with decorative hinges.
Moulded doorway with segmental arched head into hall. Very heavy
exposed floor joists. A little altered C16 jettied house of
great interest. Former Congregational Chapel at E end of house,
erected 1820 as a preaching station for Wymondley Academy
(datestone on W wall: VCH (1912) 198) and rebuilt 1862 (datestone
on E front). Red brick with slate roofs. Grey brick used for
pilasters and polychrome arch and raking cornices on E front,
side lean-to porches. Triple round-headed stone window. Pointed
moulded stone doorways. Main axis of chapel N-S with entrance
gabled frontispiece on roadside on E. Became part of house in
1970's. (RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3256325473
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings