This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1404 / 51°8'25"N
Longitude: 1.3711 / 1°22'16"E
OS Eastings: 635911
OS Northings: 143305
OS Grid: TR359433
Mapcode National: GBR X2V.KGJ
Mapcode Global: VHLHC.QL7N
Entry Name: South Foreland Lighthouse
Listing Date: 23 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1101512
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178497
Location: St. Margaret's At Cliffe, Dover, Kent, CT15
Civil Parish: St. Margaret's at Cliffe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 34 SE ST MARGARET'S AT CLIFFE THE FRONT
Lighthouse and outbuildings. Built 1793, rebuilt 1843. Rendered, with
slate roofs. Irregular octagon with flanking wings. The tower is of 3
storeys on a plinth, with machicolations and battlemented parapet.
Lantern with ball finial and weather vane. Single storey outbuildings
with plinth and parapet and low hipped roof with 2 cast iron chimney pots.
Projecting canted bay window on main facade, and projecting return wing
both with pediment-shaped parapets and Trinity House emblems. Linked to
tower by short wing with four centred arched doorway. Main entry to
tower with pointed arch on attached shafts. With the first permanent
electric lamp in the country (installed 1872, only the Lizard Light is
more powerful on the south coast).
Listing NGR: TR3591143305
Other nearby listed buildings