History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bayford, Hertfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7602 / 51°45'36"N

Longitude: -0.1003 / 0°6'1"W

OS Eastings: 531205

OS Northings: 208537

OS Grid: TL312085

Mapcode National: GBR KC2.RF8

Mapcode Global: VHGPV.60TZ

Entry Name: The Manor House

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 160618

Location: Bayford, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG13

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Bayford

Built-Up Area: Bayford

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bayford

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East side)

6/10 No. 6
20.10.52 (The Manor House)


Manor house. Late medieval, a royal manor granted 1547 to John Knighton
(N part of E range) who added before 1583 kitchen block (S end of E
range), called Bayford Place by 1613, early C17 W wing, enlarged and
brick cased 1655-1662 for John Mayo, became a farmhouse after
Sir William baker bought the manor in 1758 and then built Bayfordbury,
altered and extended as private house c.1912 for Mrs. Barclay, with new
entrance on W. Timber frame encased in red brick of various periods and
red tilehanging. Steep old red tile roofs. A large irregular T-shaped
building in its own grounds facing E but with entrance now into
1½-storeys and 2-storeys W part with tile-hung gables small-pane
casements, transomed ground floor windows and arcaded open timber porch.
E front in 3 parts, the middle containing later medieval house with
clasped-purlin roof. N part of low single-storey with N gable chimney,
one window and door near S end of front. 1½-storeys middle part has
internal N gable chimney to large open fireplace of former hall, 3
windows long with gabled dormers rising through the eaves, leaded
casements, bargeboards, and red tilehanging above ground floor windows.
Canted bay window and half-glazed door with flat hood. S part has
massive front-wall projecting chimney, 2-storeys canted bay to RH and
gabled dormer on roofslope above. One window on each floor to LH. S end
has tilehung gable triangle with bands of serrated and plain tiles.
Moulded bargeboards, casement windows, and canted bay-window with French
doors. W side of this S end has old narrow red brickwork in
English-bond. Interior has exposed timber frame in S end, fine oak
staircase c.1660 with closed string, turned balusters, heavy moulded
rail, rusticated square newels and openwork pierced finials and
pendants, serving 3 floors. C19 main staircase with stick balusters, and
wreathed handrail. Panelling in room on 1st floor painted with strapwork
decoration. Wall in cupboard near rear door has pump mechanism with
large flywheel. Buckler drawing 1848 in HRO shows a large building
immediately to W since demolished. (RCHM (1911)49: VCH (1912)420: RCHM

Listing NGR: TL3120508537

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.