This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9084 / 51°54'30"N
Longitude: -0.2855 / 0°17'7"W
OS Eastings: 518037
OS Northings: 224707
OS Grid: TL180247
Mapcode National: GBR H6G.6NF
Mapcode Global: VHGNZ.09FC
Entry Name: The Red Lion Public House
Listing Date: 26 August 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102425
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162881
Location: Preston, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Preston
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1824 PRESTON THE GREEN
9/89 The Red Lion P.H.
2 houses, now a public house, circa 1700, recorded as sold 1710, E part
mid C18, one property after 1793. Red brick darker with random blue
headers in Flemish-bond and light red dressings and gauged arches to
older part. Steep old red tile roof half-hipped at E end. Slate roof to
C18 added rear lean-to. A 2-cells, 2-storeys, cellar and attics house
facing N with later separate one cell E house. Original house has
symmetrical N front with chamfered plinth, plat-band and wooden
modillioned eaves cornice. Moulded brick corbels to ends of cornice. 3
windows long with central entrance. Recessed sash windows with 6/6 panes
and flat gauged arches. 4-panels flush beaded door in heavy frame with
small rectangular fanlight, 2 steps, and flat hood. E part has
plat-band, one 1st floor recessed sash window with flat arch.
Half-glazed 4-panels flush-beaded door under cambered arch with canted
bay window with casements to LH. Rear corner fireplace and SW chimney
added to W room: external rear wall fireplace and chimney to E house.
Difficult to determine original method of heating older house, probably
a large internal central chimney with stair to rear, removed entirely
and new stair put in later. Recorded as divided into 3 cottages in 1811.
First recorded as selling beer in Piggotts Directory of 1832. Called The
Lion by 1844 and subsequently The Red Lion. Sold at auction 1847 when
described as having 2 sitting rooms, shop, tap room, kitchen, cellarage,
and 5 bedrooms. (Inf Mrs. Nina Freebody).
Listing NGR: TL1803724707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings