This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0035 / 52°0'12"N
Longitude: 0.0161 / 0°0'57"E
OS Eastings: 538487
OS Northings: 235819
OS Grid: TL384358
Mapcode National: GBR K8B.BW6
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.7WCY
Entry Name: Numbers 11 (The Red House) and 11a
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Last Amended: 3 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102591
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162471
Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barkway
Built-Up Area: Barkway
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barkway
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARKWAY HIGH STREET
TL 3835 (East side)
9/17 Nos. II (The Red House)
27.5.68 and lla (formerly listed
as No. II [The Red House])
Large house, now 2 dwellings. C16 origins. Main block c.1720. Early bays
remodelled and rear block added c.1830. Red brick facade with plum brick
casing and additions, some timber framing to early core. Tile and slate
roofs. Main block is 5 bays, 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Plinth. Steps
with spear headed iron railings swept up to central entrance, 8 fielded
panelled door, original Doric doorcase, fluted pilasters with egg and
dart echinus. Glazing bar sashes with moulded open frames in shallow
reveals, gauged brick, flat arched heads, stone sills. Giant end
pilasters with moulded brick cornice to rebuilt stone coped parapet. 3
hipped 2 light small pane dormers. Internal end stacks rebuilt in C19
with oversailing caps, slightly extruded with offsets to right. Stone
coped gable end parapets. Gable end brick replaces earlier timber frame.
Right end has an original rainwater pipe and hopper. Attached to left is
lower 2 bay service range with C16 origins, refaced and raised in early
C19 as 2 storeys of unequal height. Ground floor: entrance to left, 4
panelled door in deep recess with a cambered head. To right a flush
frame 3 light small pane casement. Plat band to first floor with 16 pane
glazing bar sashes, recessed to left, flush frame to right. Shallow
pitched slate roof. Left end stack and cement rendering. To rear of main
block is an early C19 parallel range, slightly lower with a shallower
pitch to roof. To garden 3 bays, outer bays breaking forward. Ground
floor: central 2/3 glazed door with a semi-circular fanlight, round
headed recess and relieving arch, flanking full length tripartite sashes
with segmental heads, plat bands at impost level, first floor 16 pane
glazing bar sashes, moulded eaves soffit. End stacks. Right end from
front has a round headed staircase window and a 1983 1 storey brick and
slate roofed addition. Low C19 and C20 slate roofed additions to rear of
kitchen wing. Interior: entrance straight into traditional 'hall' with
through passage to rear, C18 raised panelling, box cornices, bolection
moulded fireplaces. Early C19 plaster cornices, depressed arched niches
and dogleg staircase with slat balusters and a ramped handrail.
Chamfered bearers in early bays. (Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3848735819
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings