This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.001 / 52°0'3"N
Longitude: 0.0154 / 0°0'55"E
OS Eastings: 538450
OS Northings: 235531
OS Grid: TL384355
Mapcode National: GBR K8B.JQN
Mapcode Global: VHHL0.7Y0Y
Entry Name: The Gables
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102596
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162480
Location: Barkway, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Barkway
Built-Up Area: Barkway
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Barkway
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
BARKWAY HIGH STREET
TL 3835 (East side)
9/26 Nos. 59, and
27.5.68 61 (The Gables)
Large house, now 2 dwellings. Circa 1620 with a later C17 stair wing
Altered and extended c.1900. Timber frame, cement rendered. Some C19 red
brick to rear. Steeply pitched tiled roofs with some slates. Broad 3
cell lobby entry plan. 2 storeys and attic. Original entrance between
centre and tight bays in a c.1900 closed gabled porch with a 4 fielded
panelled door, fanlight, architrave, brackets. Flanking original full
height shallow canted bay windows, mullion and transom 1:5:1 lights,
small pane casements. To left is a ground floor carriageway through,
double doors with a C19 low segmental arched head, moulded surround.
Left bay is now No. 59 with a bay window appearing as to right but
actually an oriel originally, underbuilt c.1900 when new entrance
inserted to far left, part glazed door, brackets to gabled hood. Above
each bay are gables jettied out with brattished and moulded bressumers
on carved scrolled brackets pierced with hearts. Behind original
entrance is a cross axial ridge stack with 3 octagonal shafts. Truncated
stack added at left end behind ridge on rebuilt slated shallower rear
slope. Later C17 broad lean-to stair wing behind central 'hall' bay. To
rear right an original 2 storey and attic wing with a slightly higher
ridge was shortened c.1900, refaced in red brick with a plat band, end
stack. 2 storey C19 lean-to to rear left with 3 light casements, stack
to rear adjoining a weatherboarded and cement rendered former barn.
Interior: ovolo moulded bearers throughout, bolection moulded panelling
in 'hall' and room above. Mid to late C17 broad open well staircase,
barleysugar on squat vase balusters, square newel posts, moulded broad
handrail. Fielded panelled doors and an ovolo moulded door surround into
stair wing. A 4 centred chamfered brick arched fireplace. Stop chamfered
jowled posts. Formerly the Town House and an Inn. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1914:
Listing NGR: TL3845035531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings