This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9931 / 51°59'35"N
Longitude: -0.0753 / 0°4'30"W
OS Eastings: 532249
OS Northings: 234486
OS Grid: TL322344
Mapcode National: GBR K8D.5S5
Mapcode Global: VHGNP.N52F
Entry Name: Sandon Bury
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 29 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162415
Location: Sandon, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG9
Civil Parish: Sandon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sandon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 33 SW
Sandon Bury (formerly listed as Sandon Bury Farmhouse)
Large house. 1661 for J. Nicholas. Raised, extended and altered in early C19. Flemish bond red brick. Steeply pitched hipped slate roof.
Five bays, double depth. Two storeys and attic, front raised to three storeys. Entrance moved from centre one bay to right: four fielded panelled door, rectangular fanlight, moulded surround, ground floor tall glazing bar sashes, all in shallow reveals with gauged brick flat arched heads. Plinth. Plat band to first floor which has smaller sashes and a Sun Fire Insurance Marker. Later attic has small six light flush frame sashes. Panelled and bracketed eaves soffit. Four end stacks. Attached to right and set back slightly is lower two bay addition replacing a C15 wing.
Ground floor large French windows with a slightly cambered gauged brick head. First floor two sashes as on main block, roof hipped to right. Left end: continuing plinth, plat bands, two first floor sashes and an attic sash in rear gable which has a half hip. C19 lean-to outshut to left front with an entrance and a sash. C19 gabled brick porch to rear left, vertically panelled door with lean-to attached to right of porch. Right end: half hip to rear block which has an entrance with a bracketed hood, ground floor two light casement, first floor small sash, two plat bands. C19 block has an extruded stack to rear with twin flues. To rear: ground floor flush frame 16 pane sashes, gauged brick flat arched heads, left bay blocked, first floor similar sashes, central window is fixed, that to right of centre is fixed with early diamond leaded panes.
Interior: early C19 stair with twisting moulded handrail inserted in bolection. moulded panelled parlour. Original dog-leg stair to rear with column-on-vase balusters, heavy square newels, moulded handrail.
(VCH 1910: Pevsner 1977: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL3224934486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings