This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0087 / 52°0'31"N
Longitude: -0.0651 / 0°3'54"W
OS Eastings: 532900
OS Northings: 236236
OS Grid: TL329362
Mapcode National: GBR K87.2C4
Mapcode Global: VHGNH.TSF1
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162326
Location: Kelshall, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG8
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Kelshall
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Kelshall
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 33 NW
CHURCH END (Northwest side)
The Old Rectory
Large house. 1691 for T. Wren. Front block rebuilt c.1790 for Rev. Waddington. Altered and extended in C19. Brick with some timber framing to rear, all stuccoed. Slate and tiled double mansard roof. 5 bays, double depth. 2 storeys and attics. Central entrance with 4 panelled architraved door, rectangular fanlight with ellipse tracery. Small timber Tuscan porch. Flush frame sashes with moulded frames. 4 red brick extruded end stacks. Slate to front pitch of roof only. Left return has 2 ground floor sashes, a first floor sash to rear with glazing bars, horizontal sliding sash and a casement window in attic. To rear: scattered glazing bar sashes, ground floor right tripartite 2 dormer windows with horizontal sliding sashes, entrance to right of centre. Right return: a casement window in front attic. Stack to rear range is largest, serving kitchen, originally external now on ridge of lower 2 storey C18 dairy, red brick with blind openings, dentilled eaves, extended by 1 bay to right in C19 with a lower roof. Gable end has 2 ground floor 2 light casements with cambered heads and a first floor horizontal sash, a further C19 range projects to rear with entrances and a horizontal sliding sash. Interior: round arch from entrance hall to late C18 dog-leg stair with moulded handrail. Panelled doors, simple cornices. In rear block a stop chamfered binding beam and large fireplace. Sir J. Soane is known to have made plans for a remodelling of Kelshall Rectory and these served as the basis for the late C18 work. (RCHM Typescript: Pevsner 1977).
Listing NGR: TL3290036236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings