This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8529 / 51°51'10"N
Longitude: -0.2917 / 0°17'29"W
OS Eastings: 517758
OS Northings: 218526
OS Grid: TL177185
Mapcode National: GBR H70.YXG
Mapcode Global: VHGP4.WPPF
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Last Amended: 21 March 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102783
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162033
Location: Kimpton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Kimpton
Built-Up Area: Kimpton
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Kimpton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1718 KIMPTON CHURCH LANE
9/86 Parish Church of
St Peter and St Paul
Parish Church. Circa 1200 nave. C13 chancel. C15 S aisle and
chapel,nave clerestorey and W tower. Restored 1861 and N aisle
rebuilt. Rubble flint with stone dressings. Red brick to eaves.
Nave has Westmoreland slate hipped roof and C18 wooden coved
eaves. 3-stage W tower has clasped buttresses and tall moulded
plinth. W door in deep surround. Battlemented. Needle spire.
2-storey octagonal stair turret on N. Fenestration is restored
C15. N nave aisle has plate-traceried gabled windows. C15
crenellated Porch with polygonal stair turret. Interior has nave
arcade of 6 bays in a Transitional/Early English style. Drum
Piers with capitals alternately stiff leaf and scalloped. 2-
light cusped clerestorey windows. C18 flat nave roof. S chancel
aisle has tall C15 3-arch arcade with Piers of 4 shafts. Shallow
canted C15 timber roof to S nave aisle, the tie beams on figured
stone stops. Screen and stalls of chapel C15. Traces of C13
painting on jamb of lancet window next to E window of Chancel.
Monument to Thomas Brand, twentieth Baron Dacre (d.1851) on N
chancel wall: good Early English style tabernacle frame. Wall
monument to Sir Jonathan Keate (d. 1700), S chancel chapel:
marble plaque with entablature and fluted pilasters. Main E
window: glass by Mayer of Munich c.1890. (Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL1775818526
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings