This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8539 / 51°51'13"N
Longitude: -0.2322 / 0°13'55"W
OS Eastings: 521852
OS Northings: 218730
OS Grid: TL218187
Mapcode National: GBR J8F.N44
Mapcode Global: VHGP5.XNMP
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 27 May 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1102834
English Heritage Legacy ID: 161953
Location: Codicote, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Codicote
Built-Up Area: Oaklands
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Codicote
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 2118 CODICOTE BURY LANE
10/6 Parish Church of
Parish Church. C12 origin. Some C13 fragments. C15 W tower.
Restored 1853. Flint rubble with stone dressings. Plain tile
pitched roofs, the nave parapeted. 3-stage battlemented W tower,
top 2 stages with C15 detail includinq 2-light belfry windows.
Lead spike with wrouqht iron weathervane. Deeply recessed W door
and 3-light window above. Nave has restored C12 lancet in N
wall and some C15 stonework to square and 4-centre arch windows.
Other fenestration is C14 style. S Porch C19. Interior has
large C15 W tower arch with single attached shafts S nave arcade
has columns on C13 octagonal bases. Restored C15 derestorey.
Jacobean hexagonal pulpit with carved panelling. S door has iron
scroll work, possibly C12. (RCHM 1910; Pevsner (1977)).
Listing NGR: TL2185218730
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings