This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9742 / 51°58'27"N
Longitude: -0.3396 / 0°20'22"W
OS Eastings: 514148
OS Northings: 231935
OS Grid: TL141319
Mapcode National: GBR H5L.4YL
Mapcode Global: VHGNK.2MBY
Entry Name: The Rectory Farmhouse
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 24 October 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103158
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163181
Location: Pirton, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Pirton
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Pirton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
PIRTON SHILLINGTON ROAD
TL 1431 (North side)
7/171 The Rectory Farmhouse
Manor house of Rectory Manor, now a farmhouse. Early C17, altered and
brick faced in parts in C18. Alterations 1870-73. Panelling installed in
1930s from Hammonds Farmhouse at Burge End. Clunch and red brick with
roughcast timber-framed gables. Steep old red tile roofs. A symmetrical,
E-plan, formerly moated house of 2 1/2-storeys, set back beyond forecourt,
facing S, with 2-storeys gabled porch and gabled projecting wings.
Single-storey hipped C18 brewhouse extends to W and gabled roughcast
timber framed stair turret projects at rear. 4 windows to each floor. 3-
and 4-lights transomed flush casement windows. Arched brick opening to
porch and original heavy studded door in cyma moulded frame, and
panelling (reset). Door has bolts and bars and cannot be opened from
outside. Central large C17 brick chimney with 5 diagonal square shafts
in L-formation to give effect of 9 shafts when seen from front. External
sidewall chimneys on outer side of each wing with diagonal shafts.
3-light transomed window to rear staircase, and blocked large 3-lights
ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows set on the tie-beams of
the roughcast rear gables. Rear gable of W wing has a wide 4-lights
pointed wooden Gothick traceried window with leaded glazing said to have
come from the church in the Victorian period. Room in E wing lined with
panelling from Hammonds Farm c.1931, and carved chimney-piece. Tunnel
cut through central stack in 1870s. Former lobby entry with hall on E
giving access to parlour in wing. Kitchen or houseplace on W side of
stack gives access to divided longer W crosswing and brewhouse beyond.
Study and staircase in projection to rear. Clasped-purlin roof to
crosswings have collars supporting the single purlin in each slope. Main
roof wider with 2 purlins to each slope, the upper clasped by a collar,
the lower butt-jointed to the principals. Flat rafters jointed into
lower purlin. Central chimney in English-bond.
Listing NGR: TL1414831935
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings