This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.987 / 51°59'13"N
Longitude: -0.3043 / 0°18'15"W
OS Eastings: 516541
OS Northings: 233412
OS Grid: TL165334
Mapcode National: GBR H5G.FWF
Mapcode Global: VHGNK.PB04
Entry Name: Church Farmhouse
Listing Date: 11 February 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103218
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163028
Location: Holwell, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG5
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Holwell
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Holwell
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HOLWELL GURNEYS LANE
TL 1633 (West side)
9/18 Church Farmhouse
Farmhouse. W crosswing c.1500 (presumably associated with former hall
range extending to W), late C16 range added on its E side, C18 brick
internal chimney to this range, mid C19 brick W block replacing medieval
hall range. Renovated 1975. Timber frame on high brick sill, roughcast.
Yellow brick W block. Steep old red tile roofs. An irregular 2-storeys
house, set back from lane, facing S into yard. E range has 2 windows to
each floor and is jettied to front and rear. Flush casement windows of
3-lights and 2-lights on each floor. 4 curved brackets below jetty on S.
Projecting gabled W crosswing has a 2-lights and single-light window on
ground floor and a 3-lights window on 1st floor. Higher 2-storeys W
block set back and projecting to rear has a gabled porch and canted bay
to front. The interior of the older parts have exposed timbers. The W
crosswing has close-studded walls, clasped-purlin roof, curved wind-
braces, and a 3-light original ground floor window later blocked by
the E range. This has 2 rooms on each floor, separated by a lobby and
staircase, the lower W room a new hall heated originally by an internal
timber-framed chimney, with an unheated parlour at E. When built the W
crosswing will have been for service rooms and the medieval hall demoted
to a kitchen. Only when the chimney was renewed in brick in C18 was a
fireplace provided for the parlour also. Blocked doorway on 1st floor
with 4-centred arched head formerly from stair. Close-studding and
diamond-mullioned window in parlour. Upper rooms in jettied E range both
have fragmentary wall paintings stylistically of c.1600. W room has
repeated representations of panelling, with panels enclosed in
strapwork. Central motif a diamond enclosed in an oval. Dado and
elaborate frieze. The E room has a large scale repeat pattern in black
on white of a 16-petals rose enclosing an 8-petaled centre. W block
comprises a narrow entrance and stair hall, and 4 large heated rooms on
2 floors around a central chimney stack. (Pevsner (1977)209: RCHM
Listing NGR: TL1654133412
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings