This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8652 / 51°51'54"N
Longitude: -0.2875 / 0°17'14"W
OS Eastings: 518014
OS Northings: 219898
OS Grid: TL180198
Mapcode National: GBR H71.04H
Mapcode Global: VHGP4.YCWZ
Entry Name: Hoo End
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Last Amended: 8 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103271
English Heritage Legacy ID: 162957
Location: St. Paul's Walden, North Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG4
District: North Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: St Paul's Walden
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: St Paul's Walden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 11 NE ST PAUL'S WALDEN HOO END
7/165 Hoo End (formerly listed as Leggats
9.6.52 End of Hoo end Grange)
Manor house of Leggats or Howenden, now a private house. Early C15 open
hall house with E crosswing probably for John Whethamsted, Abbot of
St Albans, before 1440. C16 W wing replacing earlier service end.
Chimney and floor inserted in hall in early C17 with large mullioned and
transomed dormer window to chamber over hall. Small dormer in middle may
have lit staircase beside chimney. Mid C18 small single-storey front
extension to hall with corner fireplace probably a counting house.
General alterations to present appearance mid C19. Timber frame
roughcast with painted brick casing to ground floor. Steep old red tile
roofs. A large H-roofed house facing N with gabled wings to ends and 3
gabled dormers to hall range between. Projecting gabled porch beside W
wing into end of hall with pedimented doorcase and eared surround.
Transomed casement bay windows, mostly renewed in C19. Brick former
well-house attached at SW corner. Interior has C17 scratch-moulded
panelling in hall, decorative pattern of tension braces exposed on 1st
floor of E wing and remains of former collar-purlin roof, crown-post
removed. Hall range roof contemporary with crown-post braced down to
tie-beam. End collar-purlin of hall halved where it meets rafter of wing
roof. Doorway with 4-centred head at W end of hall range and W wing has
blocked 2-lights N window with shutter groove. Clasped-purlin roof.
Ovolo moulded dormer window over hall. Cellar in W wing probably C17.
Previously called Leggatts End or Hoo End Grange. (RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL1805519749
Other nearby listed buildings