This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6659 / 53°39'57"N
Longitude: -1.0767 / 1°4'35"W
OS Eastings: 461106
OS Northings: 419219
OS Grid: SE611192
Mapcode National: GBR NVX1.PM
Mapcode Global: WHFDN.F3JZ
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 14 February 1967
Last Amended: 16 December 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103311
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164876
Location: Pollington, East Riding of Yorkshire, DN14
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Pollington
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Great Snaith
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
POLLINGTON BALNE MOOR ROAD
SE 61 NW
8/19 Church of St John the
14.2.67 (formerly listed as
Church of St John)
Parish church. 1853-54 by William Butterfield for William Henry Dawnay,
seventh Viscount Downe. Built by Charles Ward of Lincoln. Restorations of
1887 included new vestry, organ and screen. Red brick in English bond with
sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof, wooden shingles to spire.
Gothic Revival style. 5-bay aisled nave with west tower, north porch, south
chimney with later boiler-house extension, single-bay chancel with vestry
adjoining north side. South aisle: 2 pointed 2-light traceried windows with
single narrow square-headed window, tall projecting buttressed stack with
iron straps to upper corniced shaft. North aisle: 2 twin pointed 2-light
traceried windows. West end has 3 large buttresses with a pair of pointed
2-light traceried windows between, the central buttress rising to a moulded
ashlar corbel bearing quatrefoiled relief panel and string course,
supporting a short, partly-projecting bell turret with sill string course to
wooden-framed belfry with single pointed arches to each face, short spire
and wrought-iron weathercock. Chancel: small square-headed single-light
south window, pointed 3-light traceried east window; twin east lancets and
pointed 2-light traceried north window to vestry. All windows have
geometric tracery with pointed trefoiled lights and pierced trefoils or
quatrefoils. Tall gabled porch has open timber-framed entrance with pair of
C20 doors in recessed pointed arch beneath tie-beam and series of stepped
trefoiled arches; pair of inner doors with strap hinges in pointed chamfered
arch, roof with arch-braced collars. Continuous steeply-pitched roof to
nave, aisles and chancel; exposed rafter-ends throughout. Interior. Nave
open to chancel. 3-bay nave arcades of pointed chamfered arches on
cylindrical piers and responds, continued with similar narrower single north
and south openings to chancel. Segmental-pointed recess (former fireplace)
to north aisle. Trefoiled piscina with pierced cinquefoil. Dentilled brick
cornice below wall-plate; 9 -bay collared rafter roof with arch braces and
king posts; panelled wooden font cover. Octagonal ashlar font on carved
pedestal with trefoiled and quatrefoiled panels to bowl. Octagonal wooden
pulpit. Red and black Minton tiles to nave and chancel; red, black and
yellow tiles to sanctuary, some bearing Downe crest or monogram.
Contemporary with the neighbouring vicarage and school (qv), and with
similar groups at nearby Hensall (North Yorkshire) and Cowick (qv).
Pollington church is the only one of the 3 to retain its dramatic chimney.
N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, The West Riding, 1959, p 89.
P Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971, p 105. J Killeen, A Short History of
Cowick Hall, 1967, p 27-29. R Dixon and S Muthesius, Victorian
Architecture, 1978, p 49 and p 208. Photographs in NMR.
Listing NGR: SE6110619219
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings