This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7861 / 53°47'10"N
Longitude: -0.4526 / 0°27'9"W
OS Eastings: 502048
OS Northings: 433313
OS Grid: TA020333
Mapcode National: GBR TS8N.TH
Mapcode Global: WHGFJ.03R9
Plus Code: 9C5XQGPW+FX
Entry Name: Skidby Mill and attached mill buildings
Listing Date: 6 May 1952
Last Amended: 1 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103339
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164739
Location: Skidby, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU16
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Skidby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Skidby St Michael
Church of England Diocese: York
Tagged with: Windmill
TA 03 SW
BEVERLEY ROAD (A164) (west side)
Skidby Mill and attached mill buildings
Corn windmill, tower type, built 1821 by Robert Garton, Millwright, for William Watson, raised late 1870s. Brick tower, tarred, timber-framed cap sails and fantail painted white.
Circular plan, battered tower with vertical upper section, East Yorkshire tower mill. Six storeys and cap. Bottom storey has one Yorkshire sliding multi-paned window, two boarded doors and engine drive pulley, also adjoining buildings. Second storey has one multi-paned pivoted window, and one internal door to warehouse. Third storey has three pivoting windows as before. There is slatted stage at second floor level with a handrail carried on posts and cross-bracing between. Fourth, fifth and sixth storeys each have two pivoting windows as before. There is a circular ogee cup with a ball finial, and an eight-bladed fantail carried on a high fanstage behind it. Fan gearing and lever-type striking gear complete. There are four double-shuttered patent sails with a complete set of shutters and striking gear mounted on an iron cross. Bottom storey has engine drive shaft with bevel gears driving a vertical iron shaft, elevator boot, hopper and trunking. Second storey has wood and iron tentering gear for three pairs of millstones, governor, meal spouts, vertical iron shaft passing through with bevel gear and pulley, elevator trunking. Third storey has three pairs of millstones complete with tuns, hoppers, horses, shoes with screens, quants and mortise-iron stone nuts. Cast-iron upright shaft carries iron great spurwheel and belt drive to governor shaft. Vertical shaft carries a fourth mortise-iron nut engaging great spur, elevator trunking. Fourth and fifth storeys have iron upright shaft passing through, and elevator head. Sixth storey has iron upright shaft carrying cast-iron wallower with wooden facing under. Cap has cast-iron windshaft with wood-rimmed, iron cogged and spoked brakewheel. Wooden brake and lever, fantail gears, striking gear for sails.
Attached mill buildings, brick, two storey with pantile roofs. North front, to west of mill, with a doorway to the left and two three-light windows with segment heads, above four four-light windows. West gable wall has a two-light casement to each floor, both with segment heads. South front has two four-light windows with segment heads and above a three-light and two four-light windows. To the south-east a further two storey range, with a single four-light window to each floor of the west gable front. The south front has four four-light windows to each floor, those below with segment heads. Beyond a slightly lower two storey range with three irregularly spaced three-light windows and above three four-light windows. The east gable wall has a four-light casement, and a three-light window above both with segment heads. The north front has two three-light casements, two plank doors and a small casement all with segment heads, above a small casement and a pair of shuttered loft doors. To the west a projecting range, the east gable wall has a pair of cart doors, and the north front a single doorway.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings