This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.7272 / 53°43'37"N
Longitude: -0.4362 / 0°26'10"W
OS Eastings: 503273
OS Northings: 426781
OS Grid: TA032267
Mapcode National: GBR TTDB.CM
Mapcode Global: WHGFQ.8LK0
Entry Name: Mortuary Chapel in Hessle Cemetery
Listing Date: 16 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164712
Location: Hessle, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU13
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Hessle
Built-Up Area: Hessle
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hessle All Saints
Church of England Diocese: York
HESSLE BEVERLEY ROAD
TA 02 NW
9/69 Mortuary Chapel in Hessle
Mortuary chapel. 1866 for J Robinson Pease. Ashlar, corbelled roof.
English Transitional style. Rectangular plan of 3 bays. Blank pointed
arcades to each side with moulded and dogtooth arches on shafts with water-
leaf capitals. Within the arcades are sunk panels, some inscribed: one of
them bears the dated inscription recording the construction of the chapel.
Moulded impost bands and corner shafts below impost level. To either end
are pointed arches of 3 orders on nook-shafts with waterleaf capitals. The
arches and jambs bear a variety of mouldings and are enriched with dogtooth.
Wrought-iron gates of good style: 3 tiers of railings with foliate ends.
Interior: pointed tunnel vault on 4 keel-roll-moulded ribs carried on
attached shafts with water-leaf capitals rising from a low bench. Sunk
panels between the shafts, some inscribed. The Pease family were wealthy
Hull merchants who owned many of the larger houses in the area.
Listing NGR: TA0327326781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings