This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8915 / 53°53'29"N
Longitude: -0.3177 / 0°19'3"W
OS Eastings: 510657
OS Northings: 445232
OS Grid: TA106452
Mapcode National: GBR VR7F.0R
Mapcode Global: WHHG4.2GZ2
Plus Code: 9C5XVMRJ+HW
Entry Name: Holy Trinity Church
Listing Date: 7 February 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103456
English Heritage Legacy ID: 164497
Location: Leven, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU17
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Leven
Built-Up Area: Leven
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Leven Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: York
TA 14 NW
Holy Trinity Church
(Formerly listed under A 165 (West side))
Church. 1843-44 by R D Chantrell. Parish room added 1998-99 by Ferrey & Menim. Early English style. Gritstone ashlar and re-used limestone with slate roofs. Three-stage west tower with attached octagonal stair turret to south, 4-bay nave with south aisle, south porch; 2-bay chancel. West tower: plinth, buttresses with offsets, paired lancets to belfry under hoodmould with floral stops. Corbel table, low coped parapet. Flagstaff. Nave: plinth, buttresses with offsets. 2 lancets to east, each under a hoodmould with face stops to west, floral stops to east. South porch: pointed door of 2 orders, the inner on nook-shafts, under hoodmould with foliate stops. Coped gable with flory cross finial. Transepts: north and south windows of paired lancets with hoodmoulds with foliage and face stops. Chancel: plinth, buttresses with offsets. Lancets with hoodmoulds, with face stops to west, foliated stops to east. Pointed priest's door with continuous hollow chamfer. East window of 3 stepped lancets under trefoil light to gable. Raised coped gable, flory cross finial. INTERIOR: has re-used medieval nave arcade of 4 pointed double-chamfered arches on quatre-foil piers with filleted rolls. Re-used square C13 font on central cylindrical pier and 4 colonettes: the tub is decorated with paired trefoil-headed blank arches with foliage to spandrels on 3 sides, and with a composition of central trefoil headed blank arch to centre flanked by blank lancets, all with foliage to spandrels. Re-used medieval north transept arch and piscina. At east end of nave is a fragment of pre-Conquest cross-shaft with interlace on 3 sides: the fourth is damaged or unfinished. Early C19 hatchment also re-sited. R D Chantrell re-used much of the medieval fabric from St Faith's Church Hall Garth which was dismantled 1843-4.
Listing NGR: TA1065745232
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings