History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade I Listed Building in Aldenham, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6734 / 51°40'24"N

Longitude: -0.3529 / 0°21'10"W

OS Eastings: 513988

OS Northings: 198463

OS Grid: TQ139984

Mapcode National: GBR 52.5PX

Mapcode Global: VHFSM.T6SJ

Plus Code: 9C3XMJFW+9R

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 September 1953

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103642

English Heritage Legacy ID: 164050

Location: Aldenham, Hertsmere, Hertfordshire, WD25

County: Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Aldenham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Aldenham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in


(South side)

6/3 Church of
1.9.53 St. John the Baptist


Parish Church. C12 origins, early C13 W tower, C13 chancel and S chapel
lengthened c.1300, c.1340 nave and S aisle rebuilt, mid C15 N aisle,
late C15 alterations and early C16 chancel widened to N and N vestry
added. 1847 chancel restored by Talbot Bury. 1882 whole church restored
by A.Blomfield. 1905 altered by C.J.Blomfield. Knapped flint with ashlar
Totternhoe dressings. Puddingstone in tower. Old red tiles to chancel
roof, machine tiles elsewhere. Roughly rectangular plan, nave and
chancel not aligned, 4 bays each with aisles and chapels. S aisle
retains restored C12 W window below a C14 quatrefoil. S entrance in C19
timber and brick gabled porch. To S three 2 light windows of c.1340.
Clerestorey four 2-light square headed C15 windows. Shallow pitch to
nave roof. Larger N aisle: 3-light C16 W window, restored entrance to N
and three 2-light C15 windows. Corner diagonal and straight buttresses.
Lead plaque dated 1717 commemorating church wardens in entrance bay.
Continuing from N aisle is C15 N chapel of 2 bays, blocked doorway and 2
and 3-light windows. Chancel: late C19 E window with coped gable end
parapet. To S a lancet, to N a ½ blocked lancet with Y-tracery. Steeply
pitched roof with ridge slightly above that of nave. S chapel: to S 2
C13 lancets and c.1300 2-light window in eastwards extension , c.1300 3
light window to E restored. Straight buttresses. At SW angle adjoining S
aisle is semi-octagonal turret for rood stair built 1905. Vestry added
to NE: square-headed 2-light window and blocked doorway to E. 1970 link
to church hall further N. W tower: 3 tall stages with slightly taller
semi-octagonal turret to NE. Diagonal buttresses to W. Battlemented
parapets and shingled needle spire, restored 1951. C19 entrance and C15
3-light window to W. C13 lancets to N and S in lower stage. Upper stages
are C15 rebuilding: single lights in 2nd stage and paired openings in
belfry all with square heads. C19 clock to W in 2nd stage. Small blocked
opening to E of belfry. Interior: C14 chancel arch, hollow moulded
orders, octagonal responds. C15 tower arch similar with circular shafts
to responds. S arcade c.1340: octagonal piers to 2 chamfered orders in
pointed arches. Foliate paterae on capitals. N arcade c.1440 similar but
with taller columns and flatter arches, different ornamental detail. C14
doors to rood stair. C13 arcade to S chapel:octagonal piers to chamfered
orders in pointed arches, moulded capitals. Originally 2 bays lengthened
to E by 1 bay c.1300. Small door from chancel to E end of S chapel.
c.1300 pointed arch from S aisle to chapel. Above blocked C13 piscina in
chancel S wall is a deeply splayed lancet window opening into lengthened
S chapel. Restored sedilia and piscina to E end of chancel S wall.
S chapel: c.1300 piscina to E end of S wall. Beam ends visible in S wall,
one with mouldings. C15 double arcade to N chapel from chancel, flatter
arches than to S, that to W abuts onto E wall of N aisle above a low C15
arch linking N aisle and chapel. Square head to 4-centred arched door
from N chapel to vestry. N and S aisles and chapels have simple C15 roofs
with moulded tie beams and purlins, arched braces in smaller S aisle.
Nave roof probably slightly later: moulded and painted beams,
traceried spandrels to arched braces from stone angel corbels to tie
beams with carved ornament. C19 ceiled chancel roof, carved and painted
bosses and ornament. C13/C14 font in W tower: Purbeck marble, moulded
square base and bowl, circular stem and 4 corner shafts. Large oak chest
in W tower, possibly C14, with iron bands and hinges. Screen from S
aisle and chapel retains some C15 timber and painted decoration,
restored by A.Blomfield. Rood screen in chancel arch by C.J.Blomfield.
Pulpit, choir stalls, and screens to chapel by A.Blomfield. Bishop's
chair in chancel by W.Lethaby 1892. C17 communion table with turned and
fluted legs in S chapel. Original oak shutters with strap hinges to E
and N in vestry. Monuments: in S chapel on S wall: 2 chest tombs as 1
composition to wife and daughter-in-law of Sir W.Crowmer, c.1400. Front
panels with arms in quatrefoils. 4 centred cusped heads to canopies.
Richly carved relief ornament and arms in spandrels. Effigies in
contemporary dress. Further E a wall monument to Katherine Cade, d.1615,
painted praying figure in alabaster and marble aedicule, arms in broken
pediment. S aisle: wall monument to Vice Admiral J.Chambers White,
d.1845, elaborate Gothic aedicule. Further W, large vari-coloured marble
wall monument to Robert and Sarah Hucks, d.1771, profile busts on a
sarcophagus on an aedicular frame to a lengthy epitaph. N chapel on N
wall: a large double effigy marble chest tomb. J.Coghill and wife,
d.1714, figures informally disposed in contemporary dress, arms on E
side, inscription to front. Brasses: several small C16 figures in
chancel and S chapel, larger figures at W end of N aisle, various floor
slabs. Glass: Several windows by Kempe 1891-1900. Other windows
including chancel N window with mosaics and mosaic chancel floor by
Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1890. (RCHM 1910: VCH 1923: Pevsner 1977).

Listing NGR: TQ1398898463

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.