This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8124 / 51°48'44"N
Longitude: -0.2946 / 0°17'40"W
OS Eastings: 517658
OS Northings: 214020
OS Grid: TL176140
Mapcode National: GBR H7L.BBM
Mapcode Global: VHGPB.VP3Y
Entry Name: Church of St Helen
Listing Date: 19 October 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 163972
Location: Wheathampstead, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL4
District: St. Albans
Civil Parish: Wheathampstead
Built-Up Area: Wheathampstead
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Wheathampstead
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CHURCH OF ST HELEN
Parish church. Pre-Conquest and Norman origin. Chancel, c,1230.
crossing tower, late C13. Nave and aisles, early-mid C14. N and
S transepts, c.1330-50. N vestry added c.1380, but altered and
enlarged 1897. Whole church was restored 1865-6 by Edward
Browning. Flint rubble. Stone dressings. Slate roofs.
Cruciform plan, the nave and chancel equal length. Large central
tower with leaded pyramid roof surmounted by a spire. Many good
Decorated period windows, especially to the transepts and the
chancel N and S walls. Early C14 W door with ball flower
ornament in double hollow surround. S porch of similar date with
chamfered arch and attached shafts. Interior: nave arcade of 3
arches; octagonal piers, moulded capitals and bases. Roof with
arch-braced collar trusses. Figured stone corbels. Crossing has
broad chamfered piers and arches. S transept has stone arch in S
wall, said to be a Saxon doorhead, and the E wall has an
intricate decorated style window with fleurons in the jambs.
Corresponding window in the N transept has ballflower ornament
and beneath the sill is an intricate blind arcade of c.1330.
Large N window with net tracery. The chancel E end has 3 lancet
windows of c.1230 set in deep splays and with deeply cut moulded
arches. C15 piscina in jamb of SE window. Door to vestry with
dog-tooth moulded arch. Font at W end of nave is early C14,
octagonal, with quatrefoil frieze. Early C17 oak pulpit with
shallow strapwork ornament. Jacobean screen at entrance to N
transept, probably fragment of a former W gallery. Pews behind
this are early-mid C17, one dated 1631. Many good monuments:
alabaster tomb chest to Sir John Brocket and his wife (1558) with
two recumbent figures and armorial frieze; large wall monument
to Elizabeth Garrard on W wall of N transept, 1630s: broad arch
surround with columns, broken pediment overthrow and semi-
reclining alabaster figures; next to this a classical wall
plaque to Sir John Garrard (d.1700). On E wall the many plaques
include one by Thorwaldsen, 1817. (RCHM (1910); Pevsner
Listing NGR: TL1765814020
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings