This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5993 / 53°35'57"N
Longitude: -0.4352 / 0°26'6"W
OS Eastings: 503651
OS Northings: 412550
OS Grid: TA036125
Mapcode National: GBR TVDT.LH
Mapcode Global: WHGG9.9S0L
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 6 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103684
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165922
Location: Elsham, North Lincolnshire, DN20
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Elsham
Built-Up Area: Elsham
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Elsham All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
ELSHAM CHURCH STREET
TA 01 SW
Church of All Saints
GV II *
Parish church. Cll - C12 origins to tower, nave and chancel, with C13 - C14
north transept and alterations to tower, including west door. Restorations
of 1873/4 by W Scott Champion included extensive rebuilding of nave, chancel
and transept. Limestone and ironstone rubble and ashlar with limestone
ashlar dressings. Slate roof. West tower with west entrance, 3-bay nave
with single-bay north transept (now vestry) and 2-bay chancel. 2-stage
tower: large diagonal off-set buttresses, chamfered plinth. Very fine door
has pointed arch of 4 orders with fillet mouldings on 5 orders of filleted
shafts with naturalistic foliate capitals, hood-mould and headstops; string
course above. Buttresses flanking door each have recessed C13 carved relief
panels, that to right with angel and 5 naked figures, that to left also with
figures but much weathered. North and south lancets to first-stage. String
course cut by pointed 2-light west window with C19 geometrical tracery,
original hood-mould and headstops. 1896 clockface above. Square-headed 2-
light belfry openings containing C19 pierced ashlar tablets. Moulded
string-course, coped parapet. Low pyramidal spire with wrought-iron finial.
Nave: south side has restored lancet and C19 pointed 2-light windows with
curvilinear tracery, hood-moulds and mainly original headstops. Pointed 2-
light north window with C19 geometrical tracery, original hood-mould and
headstops. Transept: C19 pointed chamfered north door with square-headed
traceried single-light window and pedimented coped gable above; C14 square-
headed 2-light trefoiled east and west windows; re-used Romanesque moulded
stone in north wall. Chancel: round-arched chamfered north door with plain
hood-mould and carved stops; restored pointed 2-light windows with C19
tracery, hood-moulds and headstops, some of the latter original. String
course and coped parapet throughout. Interior. Small round-headed tower
arch with roll moulding and restored imposts; small blocked basket-arched
opening above with chamfered jambs. Former opening to transept has double-
chamfered segmental arch, chamfered jambs and plain imposts. Pointed
piscina to south side of chancel. C19 fittings. Former medieval font in
tower with plain octagonal bowl and cylindrical shaft.
N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England : Lincolnshire, 1978,
p 232-3; drawing by C Nattes, 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library.
Listing NGR: TA0365112550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings