This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7834 / 50°47'0"N
Longitude: -2.9964 / 2°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 329850
OS Northings: 98677
OS Grid: SY298986
Mapcode National: GBR M5.ZYH9
Mapcode Global: FRA 47M0.LGX
Entry Name: Oak House
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103761
English Heritage Legacy ID: 87616
Location: Axminster, East Devon, Devon, EX13
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Axminster
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Axminster St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 29 98 AXMINSTER CHARD STREET
1/20 (north west side)
11.8.50 Oak House
Built in 1758 by Simon Bunter, an Axminster Lawyer. Fine red brick house with stone
dressings. Slate mansard roof with gabled ends. Parapet with putti and urns,
modillion cornice and rusticated quoins. 1:3:1 bays. Centre three bays break forward
with quoins. Sash windows with thick glazing bars in eaved moulded architraves.
Centre first floor Venetian window with Ionic pilasters entablature and arched centre
light. Similar central doorway below with round-headed fanlight and entablature
continued over side lights with pilasters, and with modern panelled door.
Five flat roofed dormers with sashes. Rendered chimney stacks at gable ends. Three
storey, one bay wing set back to left and right, the right hand one has large
segmental fanlight to doorway. Rear elevation has range of C18 sash windows.
Interior: good contemporary open-well staircase with open string, three balusters per
tread and moulded soffit. C18 carved wooden chimneypiece and moulded plaster ceiling
Listing NGR: SY2985098677
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings