History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II Listed Building in Exmouth, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6173 / 50°37'2"N

Longitude: -3.4187 / 3°25'7"W

OS Eastings: 299730

OS Northings: 80693

OS Grid: SX997806

Mapcode National: GBR P4.DSCD

Mapcode Global: FRA 37QF.PZG

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 4 October 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1103814

English Heritage Legacy ID: 87539

Location: Exmouth, East Devon, Devon, EX8

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Civil Parish: Exmouth

Built-Up Area: Exmouth

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Littleham-cum-Exmouth St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Starcross

Listing Text

EXMOUTH ST ANDREW'S STREET
SX 9980
(South-Side)
Church of St Andrew
3/170
- II
Anglican parish church. 1896. Squared grey limestone with yellow limestone
dressings; interior fair-faced brickwork. Slate roofs. Nave with aisles,
transept not projecting beyond aisles, organ chamber and vestry, south chapel
north porch, bell-cote at chancel arch. North side has two gables towards
left end, and gabled porch far right; series of single or grouped lancets;
paired under drip to organ chamber, 1:2:1 under stepped drip and with small
rose in plate tracery to transept. West front has five stepped lancets under
broad pointed arch containing yellow stone; left and right are angle buttresses,
lancet in west end Qf each aisle. South front similar to north but one gable
to transept only. Later porch in concrete block and further doorway to slightly
projecting porch with shouldered lintel at transept. East front has plain
circular rose under pointed arch, above 3 lancets, angle buttresses. All
gables coped; plinth all round. Lead covered wooden bell-cote. Interior
is plain brick, but painted to sanctuary and south chapel. Four-bay nave
on wood block floor; octagonal piers with stone base course at plinth height,
pointed arches dying into piers. Tie-beam arch-braced collar roof set on
brackets, boarded ceiling above joists; double truss at chancel opening.
Aisle roofs tie-beam with central braced post to purlin. Delicate rood screen
with 11 small carved figures, returned left as open screen with series of
carved brackets with paired heads to posts, under organ, and forming narrow
access way to vestry. Sanctuary has rich altar and reredos on 3 steps: reredos
with alabaster base, central figure of Christ and Mary flanked by angels,
curved canopy to decorative cresting. 3 pointed arches to blank arcade forming
sedilia with piscina. Sanctuary marked by brick arch in two orders. Choir
stalls and chairs probably original fittings. Pulpit and lectern in light
openwork with inset Art Nouveau brass plaques. Stone font at west end, hemis-
pherical bowl on marble base, running to octagonal top carrying good openwork
font cover with Art Nouveau brass plate inset. In south chapel a memorial
window with Ss Anne, Joseph, Mary Magdalene, and Luke, by Cooper-Abbs to
Annie Barber, 1952. A modest exterior concealing an interesting interior
with good furnishings and fittings as designed for the building.


Listing NGR: SX9973080693

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.