This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7964 / 50°47'46"N
Longitude: -1.0477 / 1°2'51"W
OS Eastings: 467212
OS Northings: 100078
OS Grid: SU672000
Mapcode National: GBR VYY.4T
Mapcode Global: FRA 86PZ.PN9
Plus Code: 9C2WQXW2+HW
Entry Name: St James Hospital Chapel
Listing Date: 9 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103824
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474900
Location: Portsmouth, PO4
Electoral Ward/Division: Milton
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Milton St James
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU60SE LOCKSWAY ROAD, Milton
774-1/4/286 St James' Hospital Chapel
Hospital chapel. 1879. By George Rake. Knapped flint with
stone dressings. Welsh slated roofs.
PLAN: 5-bay nave, 1 bay apsidal chancel, south-west porch and
west bellcote, north vestry.
EXTERIOR: north face: 5 stone 2-light Y tracery windows with
leaded lights, flanking offset buttresses. To left (east) is a
vestry projecting from chancel with lean-to roof. At centre is
a recessed 4-panelled diamond boarded door with overlight set
under flat stone shouldered arch, stone sill and rusticated
jambs. On left return to vestry is a 2-light window with
leaded lights set under flat stone arch with rusticated jambs.
East face of chancel with lower roof has within apse 3 narrow
lancet windows each set under stone pointed arch. rusticated
jambs. East facing gable to nave has stone eaves. Kneelers,
offset diagonal buttress at south corners. To right (north) of
nave is octagonal stack.
South face: four 2-light windows with flanking offset
buttresses similar to north face. To left (west) is a
projecting porch, recessed boarded with ornamental iron strap
hinges, set under recessed stone pointed arch with flanking
engaged Corinthian columns; outer arch stone pointed with
hoodmould and stone roll moulded jambs. Flanking offset
buttresses, facing stone coped gable with kneelers.
West face: nave has slightly projecting and stepped centre
bay. To left and right a lancet headed window. At centre over
projecting bay is a stone base, with on each side paired
engaged stone columns, pointed blinded arches with hoodmould
surmounting stone bellcote with pointed arched opening,
hoodmould and steep pitched facing gable.
INTERIOR: nave has a 5-bay hammer beam roof with boarded
ceiling. Curved boarded ceiling to chancel. Nave and chancel
have stained glass windows.
(Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle: Winchester: 1879-).
Listing NGR: SU6610802158
Other nearby listed buildings