This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7896 / 50°47'22"N
Longitude: -1.1021 / 1°6'7"W
OS Eastings: 463385
OS Northings: 99276
OS Grid: SZ633992
Mapcode National: GBR VP8.XK
Mapcode Global: FRA 87L0.6GD
Plus Code: 9C2WQVQX+R5
Entry Name: The Royal Naval Club
Listing Date: 25 September 1972
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1103858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474999
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Thomas
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6399 PEMBROKE ROAD
774-1/12/74 (North East side)
The Royal Naval Club
(Formerly Listed as:
The Royal Naval Club)
2 houses, now Royal Naval club. C18 with major alterations
1871-1875 by Thomas Hellyer. Grey header bricks with red brick
dressings and stucco. Roof of Welsh slate; brick stack on left
and right. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with central 4-storey tower. 7 bays,
central tower recessed. Projecting wings stuccoed on ground
floor and with rusticated rendered quoins to all storeys.
Tower section stuccoed to full height. 6-panelled double door
at centre, upper 4 panels glazed, semicircular fixed panel
over, set within moulded stuccoed surround having keystone
decorated with Royal Naval insignia, rope moulded arris to
corners. To each wing on left and right 2 paired sashes, set
under segmental stuccoed arches with dividing colonnettes
rendered keystones and raised rendered surrounds; single
segmental arched sash, between the paired windows. Bracketed
sillband. On first floor, bracketed balcony with patterned
iron balustrade; to each wing a central French casement set
under gauged brick segmental arch with stone imposts and
keystone; flanking tripartite canted bay windows having
central sashes and narrow side sashes, segmental arched
overlights, pilasters dividing lights, rectangular plan
cornices and metal tented roofs. Second floor has 2 paired
round-headed sashes to each wing, set under gauged brick round
arches with stone dividing colonnettes, imposts and keystones;
and single round-headed sash between. Bracketed stone
sillband. Moulded stone band below bracketed cornice broken
back over tower section with a lunette plaque over containing
relief of crown and anchor, flanked by Dolphins, ship of the
Central tower section has on first floor bracketed rendered
balcony with rounded quoins and central iron grille; French
casement set under segmental arch with raised rendered
surround and imposts. Shallow bracketed band over.
Round-arched sash on second floor. The top stage of the tower
has three sash windows on each side, flanking pilasters,
arch-volts with blind tympanum; impost and sill mouldings
carried all the way round; console bracketed moulded cornice
over with arcaded balustrade to parapet.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: this is the only Royal Naval Club in existence and it
was founded in 1867. The tower was used to signal to ships at
(Balfour A: Portsmouth: London: 1970-: 56; Lloyd DW: Buildings
of Portsmouth and its Environs: Portsmouth: 1974-: 47).
Listing NGR: SZ6339399274
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings