This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6481 / 50°38'53"N
Longitude: -3.4304 / 3°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 298965
OS Northings: 84132
OS Grid: SX989841
Mapcode National: GBR P3.RWN6
Mapcode Global: FRA 37PC.CCP
Plus Code: 9C2RJHX9+6R
Entry Name: Queen Anne House and Front Wall to Garden
Listing Date: 21 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88553
Location: Lympstone, East Devon, Devon, EX8
Civil Parish: Lympstone
Built-Up Area: Lympstone
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lympstone Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 98 SE LYMPSTONE STRAND (north side) Lympstone
5/53 Queen Anne House and front
- wall to garden
Detached house. Possibly 1702 (datestone re-set in garden wall) refenestrated and
refurbished in circa 1840. Brick, in Flemish bond with dressed sandstone plinth;
gabled-end slate roof. Central staircase plan main range with rear service wing;
the rear wing originally had a lateral newel stair, now dismantled. Single depth,
with principal room on either side of central staircase hall. External end stacks,
all brick, that to the left with 2 paired set offs, that to the right largely
renewed; end stack to wing. 2 storeys.
Front: symmetrical 5-window range; 3 full dormers with 6 pane sash windows;
moulded gutter box; 12 pane horned sash windows under segmental brick arches to
first floor; verandah with moulded cornice supported on 4 Tuscan columns, runs
across 2 bow windows with 12:12:12 pane hornless sashes which flank the central
entrance, the latter with pilasters, panelled reveals and soffit. Plinth chamfered
to front range only. Right-hand elevation with the only surviving window of circa
1702. 2-light casement, with stanchion and fastener plate; otherwise 3 C20
casements to this elevation.
Rear: with 12-pane hornless sash window and another to inner face of wing. 2 C20
casement windows in addition.
Interior: rear wing, ground floor, with 2 cross ceiling beams, both chamfered, one
with composite ovolo and cavetto moulding, the other with step stops to one end
only: C17, but look re-used. Circa 1840 joinery including the internal panelled
shutters to front bays and the open well staircase.
Roof: softwood A-frame trusses, principals morticed and pegged at apex, collars
halved, to both main range and rear wing.
Brick front garden wall along Strand, contemporary with house, with sandstone
plinth, and evidence of central entrance, now blocked up, is included in this
Listing NGR: SX9896584132
Other nearby listed buildings