This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9452 / 50°56'42"N
Longitude: -4.349 / 4°20'56"W
OS Eastings: 235079
OS Northings: 118819
OS Grid: SS350188
Mapcode National: GBR KB.NQ36
Mapcode Global: FRA 16SM.1JJ
Plus Code: 9C2QWMW2+3C
Entry Name: Leworthy Mill
Listing Date: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104433
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91279
Location: Woolfardisworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Woolfardisworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Woolfardisworthy West All Hallows
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 31 NE
House. Late Medieval origins, remodelled in 1684. Painted rendered stone rubble and some cob. Corrugated iron roof with rendered stacks to each end of house. Outbuilding attached at right end has hipped corrugated iron roof.
Plan: two-room plan, with direct entry into right-hand room. C20 flat-roofed single storey extensions at rear and attached at left end.
Development: the early fabric is confined to the right-hand room, the smoke-blackened roof timbers over this end suggesting most unusually that this originated as a one-room open hall house. In 1684, the floor was inserted and a coved ceiling with decorative plasterwork formed over the large single chamber above. The solid stone rubble and cob wall partition between the two rooms shows that the left-hand room was a later addition, although the replacement of the roof structure over this side in the C20 and internal alterations means accurate dating is impossible on the visible evidence alone; but it seems probably the house was extended in the C17 remodelling.
Exterior: two storeys. Three-window range. Late C19 and early C20 fenestration, with six-paned sashes and small two-light casements, sixteen-paned sash to left of gabled, slate roof to painted rendered stone rubble porch. C20 addition at left-hand end and along rear of house.
Interior: the large principal chamber over the right-hand room, which has been partitioned in the C20, retains good decorative plasterwork, with a cornice of trailing leaf design, and to the overmantel of the blocked fireplace is the date 1684 with initials PK/IK above (undoubtedly referring to the Knill family who were owners in the late C17) and a crowned fleur-de-lis below. Cherub's head to left in high relief. The coving survives along the rear wall, and one panel of a geometrical ribbed design, with a thistle motif to the tip of the rib. One of the sprays has been reset over the fireplace to the ground floor room. Ground floor has C19 plank doors. Single cross ceiling beam to right-hand room. Bread oven to fireplace.
Roof: largely replaced in C20 but a single smoke-blackened purlin over the right-hand room to the rear side indicates this was originally an open hall house. Both the roof structure and the decorative plasterwork are interesting survivals in a rural house of this scale.
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 2 February 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings