History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Pier Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartland, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9951 / 50°59'42"N

Longitude: -4.5334 / 4°32'0"W

OS Eastings: 222316

OS Northings: 124804

OS Grid: SS223248

Mapcode National: GBR K2.KRD5

Mapcode Global: FRA 16DH.1PB

Entry Name: Remains of Pier Wall

Listing Date: 19 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104452

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91244

Location: Hartland, Torridge, Devon, EX39

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Hartland

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Hartland St Nectan

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Blagberry

Listing Text

HARTLAND HARTLAND QUAY
SS 22 SW

3/178 Remains of Pier Wall
-

GV II

Pier wall. Originally built in late C16 by William Abbott inheritor of Hartland
Abbey and its estate, what now survives however is likely to be the work of one of
several subsequent rebuildings or repairs throughout the C17, C18 and C19 until 2
severe storms in 1887 and 1896 effected the 2 stage destruction of the pier. Large
grounders with stone rubble blocks above.
Hartland Quay was probably at its most prosperous during the C18 and early C19 - in
1841 after the damage to its pier-head during gales its owner Lewis William Buck was
confident enough of the quay's future to raise £1200 for its repair. However in the
2nd half of the C19 the fortunes of the quay declined, augmented by the arrival of
the railway in Bideford in 1855 and the climate of agricultural depression. When
therefore further considerable damage was suffered in 1887 Sir George Stuckley
refused to rebuild, merely re-facing the stump of the pier and the remainder was
swept away in 1896. Already business in the Quay had ceased, with the last ship,
the Rosamund Jane, departing in 1893.
Source: Hartland Quay - The Story of a Vanished Port: M. Nix and M. R. Myers


Listing NGR: SS2231624804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.