History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stafford Barton

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dolton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8853 / 50°53'6"N

Longitude: -4.014 / 4°0'50"W

OS Eastings: 258430

OS Northings: 111463

OS Grid: SS584114

Mapcode National: GBR KS.SJYC

Mapcode Global: FRA 26HR.L1T

Entry Name: Stafford Barton

Listing Date: 20 December 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104627

English Heritage Legacy ID: 90849

Location: Dolton, Torridge, Devon, EX19

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Dolton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Dolton St Edmund

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Dolton

Listing Text

DOLTON
SS 51 SE
5/55 Stafford Barton
20.12.56
II*
House, formerly small manor house. Circa mid C16, probably with earlier origins,
altered and probably extended in C17, with further additions and alterations in C19
and circa 1920.
Stone rubble walls, small coursed dressed stone blocks to porch, wall to its left
and inner face of left-hand wing. Projecting rubble lateral stack at front with
offsets, small C20 projecting front lateral stack to right of porch and another C20
rubble stack axial to rear right-hand wing, otherwise 4 brick stacks.
Plan: complex development of plan, complicated by C20 alterations and addition. The
basic form of 3 rooms and through-passage can just be discerned although the lower
end to the right may have comprised 2 rooms. Hall heated by front lateral stack,
small inner room beyond, 2 storey porch at front of passage. Wing projecting to
front of inner room has similar stonework so may be contemporary or part of an early
C17 remodelling which probably included the insertion of the hall stack although no
direct evidence survives for an open hall. In the C19 2 rear wings were added one
behind the passage and one behind the lower end, beyond the inner room an outbuilding
addition was also made. The house was further extended in circa 1920 with a wing at
the front which extended at the right end to another large wing at the rear, in both
of these wings and the remainder of the house numerous old features were
incorporated and re-used many from other old buildings in the area and replica
features such as windows, doorways and beams inserted.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical and very irregular front of which the old part of
the house forms the central 5 window portion with a wing at its left-hand end and 2
storey gabled porch at centre. To left of porch is early C20 3-light wooden mullion
window on first floor, below it is contemporary moulded wooden mullion which does,
however, retain its old cill so it is presumably a replica of a C17 ovolo-moulded
wooden mullion window on the first floor of which the cill at least is original,
below it is Tudor arched stone doorway with 1/2-roll moulding. The wide internal
wooden doorway to the house is carved with a trailing foliage motif and is reputed
to have come from Loosedon Barton, Winkleigh, before its demolition. Windows to the
right of the porch are early C20 2- and 4-light wooden mullions. Early C20 wing
projects to the front and right and is castellated apart from a small gable at the
front which has ball finial to coping stones and a single cinquefoiled light on first
floor - this may be a heavily restored earlier wing or may simply re-use earlier
fabric. Windows to wing otherwise C20 1- and 2-light wooden mullions. At left-hand
end of house is lower C19 outbuilding extension with 2 storey addition to original
house behind it. Rear elevation of original part of house (to right) has C20 wooden
mullions, that to the rear of the hall is 4-light and transomed. Small pointed arch
moulded stone doorway to its left, low down in wall is probably re-used. Dressed
stone quoins extending half way up the wall towards the right-hand end of this range
indicate the extent of the original house. To the left 3 gabled wings project, the
end C20 one is much larger and crenellated at the sides. At its end on the first
floor it re-uses a C17 5-light wooden oriel mullion window on curved brackets. Small
re-used medieval window with 2 pointed lights above it. On ground floor is probably
C20 7-light wooden mullion window. C20 conservatory, the front of central C19 wing,
that to its right has large 2 storey window bay on its end wall.
Interior: is a mixture of features, new and old - many of the latter re-used either
from other houses or other positions, all however, are of a good quality. The lower
partition of the screens passage is made up of a circa late C16 panelled screen with
ovolo-moulded muntins and rails, chamfered on the reverse side, which comes from
Loosedon Barton, Winkleigh. The hall fireplace has chamfered granite jambs and
wooden lintel which has been cut into. Herringbone pattern to stones at rear of
fireplace. The ceiling beams to the hall are very plain, suggesting that there might
have formerly been a plaster ceiling there. Over the former passage are foliage
carved cross beams and joists which are probably early C20. The rear passage
doorway has an ovolo moulded doorframe with decorative stops of which the lintel and
right-hand jamb have been renewed. The room to the left of the hall has an early
C17. peaked head doorframe and 2 hollow step-stopped cross beams. The room to the
lower side of the hall has a fireplace with plaster overmantle dated 1640 depicting
various figures including soldiers. Adjoining the fireplace is a C17 moulded wooden
doorframe and a good quality contemporary panelled door.
The C20 rear wing contains the most impressive period feature a very large and
elaborate early C17 plaster ceiling and frieze taken from No.7 Cross Street,
Barnstaple. There is a simple C17 plaster overmantle to the fireplace with strapwork
and heraldic devices. On the first floor are sections of re-used C16 and C17
panelling.
Stafford Barton is mentioned in the Domesday Book and recorded as having a chapel in
1415. It was owned by the Irish family Kelaway from the C12 who changed their name
to Stafford in the late C15 or early C15 and it remained in their ownership until
1890 when the family died out. The house was acquired in the early C20 by C.F.C.
Luxmoore the famous explorer and he built the modern wing incorporating features from
other houses such as Eggesform House (q.v.).
The house retains considerable historic interest and its features given evidence of
the high status it retained into the C20 although it has become somewhat difficult to
discern its original form.


Listing NGR: SS5843011463

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.