This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7731 / 50°46'23"N
Longitude: -4.2319 / 4°13'54"W
OS Eastings: 242724
OS Northings: 99431
OS Grid: SX427994
Mapcode National: GBR NR.0QTG
Mapcode Global: FRA 2701.K3Z
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St James
Listing Date: 14 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90774
Location: Halwill, Torridge, Devon, EX21
Civil Parish: Halwill
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Halwill St Peter and St James
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 49 NW
4/73 Church of St Peter and St James
Parish church. C14 or earlier west tower and north nave wall, the rest entirely
rebuilt 1870-9, Samuel Hooper of Hatherleigh being the architect in 1878. North wall
of the nave stone rubble, tower stone rubble brought to course, the rest squared on
stone rubble, freestone dressings, slate roofs with crested ridge tiles. West tower,
nave, chancel, north and south transepts, north east vestry, south porch. The C19
rebuilding is in the Decorated style, the gables with chamfered stopped bargeboards
with kneelers and the ends of the purlins exposed. The east wall has angle
butttresses with coped set-offs. A chamfered string rises under the sill of the 3-
light Geometric east window with hoodmould and carved foliage label stops. The south
wall of the chancel has 2 trefoil-headed 1-light windows with chamfered architraves.
The north and south transepts have 3-light windows with intersecting tracery with
hoodmoulds and carved foliage label stops, the south transept has a 1-light east
window similar to those in the chancel. The north side of the nave has a central 3-
light intersecting traceried window with a hoodmould with reused medieval carved head
label stops flanked by two 2-light C19 Decorated uncusped windows with Y tracery.
There is an angle buttress with coped set-offs at the west end of the north and south
sides. The south porch has a steeply-pitched gabled roof and a chamfered stopped
doorway below a shield carved with "1870". The porch is flanked by 2-light Geometric
Decorated windows with hoodmoulds and carved foliage label stops. The north east
vestry has an asymmetrical east gable, a chamfered stopped east doorway and a 2-light
square-headed stone mullioned north window. The unbuttressed battlemented 2-stage
west tower has a projecting rectangular north east stair turret with slit windows,
the east wall of the turret is flush with east wall of the tower. The turret has a
sloping slate roof. The tower pinnacles have an unusual convex inner profile and
terminate in crocketted finials. The chamfered west door is probably C19 below a 2-
light square-headed cusped C19 window with a hoodmould and label stops. 2-light
chamfered belfry openings to all 4 faces of the tower, the south face has a small
cupsed 1-light window at bellringers' stage.
Interior The porch has a narrow chamfered 2-centred doorway, slate-topped benches
and the remains of a reused medieval carved wallplate. The interior of the church
has plastered walls. C19 arched brace roofs throughout, the nave roof has a moulded
wallplate and the braces spring from moulded timber corbels. The double-chamfered
crossing arch has an inner order carried on moulded corbels; the chancel arch is
double-chamfered, the inner hollow-chamfered order springs from moulded capitals on
short shafts supported on foliage corbels. The braces of the transept roofs spring
from moulded corbels above timber shafts carried on moulded stone corbels. The 2-bay
chancel roof has a brattished vine-carved wallplate. The unmoulded tower arch
springs from chamfered imposts. Timber crested reredos of 5 blind arches with
paintings of Christ flanked by saints and angels. Trefoil-headed piscina on south
wall with a hoodmould, carved foliage corbels and diaper tiling. An aumbry on the
north wall has a hoodmould, label stops and fleur de lis cusping with a billet
moulding on the shelf. Moulded timber altar rail with metal barley sugar standards
and ornamental pierced spandrels. Set of contemporary tiling to chancel and
spandrels. Set of contemporary tiling to chancel crossing. Choir stalls in the
south transept have fleur de lis poppyheads, others are rectangular with blind
traceried carving. Organ case in the north transept is probably contemporary with
the restoration. Simple stepped nave bench ends with moulded rails. 5-sided 1910
Jacobean style drum pulpit on a stem with a moulded base decorated with lively
grotesques. The drum consists of standards decorated with strapwork between panels
of symbolic carving and foliage under round-headed arches. Plain octagonal granite
font, possibly C14 (Creswell) with a late C19 domed font cover with crocketted
brackets pierced with trefoils and a pinnacle. Late C19 timber lectern. Chamfered
arched blocked doorway to the tower stair turret on the west wall.
Beatrix Cresswell, Notes on Devon Churches (1922). Typescript in West Country
Devon C19 Churches Project.
Listing NGR: SX4272499431
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings