This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9528 / 50°57'10"N
Longitude: -4.1449 / 4°8'41"W
OS Eastings: 249437
OS Northings: 119233
OS Grid: SS494192
Mapcode National: GBR KM.N7SL
Mapcode Global: FRA 266L.H03
Plus Code: 9C2QXV34+42
Entry Name: Palmer House Including Garden Wall
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 4 August 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104777
English Heritage Legacy ID: 90497
Location: Great Torrington, Torridge, Devon, EX38
Civil Parish: Great Torrington
Built-Up Area: Great Torrington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Great Torrington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
852/1/52 NEW STREET
19-MAR-51 (North side)
Palmer House including garden wall
(Formerly listed as:
Palmer House including garden wall and
Dated 1752. Built by Mr (later Sir) John Palmer, brother-in-law of Sir Joshua Reynolds. The latter stayed here many times. Dr Johnson is also said to have been a visitor. Front is red brick, 3 storey, 5 windows, divided into three by brick Ionic pilasters with stone bases and caps. Entablature with pulvinate frieze is interrupted between pilasters. Main eaves cornice is continuous, breaking forward above pilasters. Low-pitched slate roof. Sash windows with glazing bars, and rubbed brick flat arches with keystones (ground floor later sashes). Doorway has moulded architrave and pediment on scroll consoles. 6-panel door with fielded upper panels. Frontage is set back behind later cast iron railings. Tall brick return walls have piers with vases, parapets swept up to meet front wall of house. At the back a wing was added late C18. This is slate hung supported on piers and arches forming a Ioggia. Large 3-light bow window. There is a walled garden, the wall having piers and vases. Octagonal gazebo at north east corner has been re-erected at Rosemoor Gardens, Great Torrington.
Interior: front ground floor room (1752) has enriched plaster ceiling with Palmer arms and Ionic mantel. Attractively planned staircase with slender turned balusters. Half-landing has Venetian window with Palmer arms in stained glass.
Nos 6 to 10 (even) and Palmer House form a group.
Listing NGR: SS4943719233
Other nearby listed buildings