This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.809 / 50°48'32"N
Longitude: -4.3544 / 4°21'15"W
OS Eastings: 234217
OS Northings: 103696
OS Grid: SS342036
Mapcode National: GBR KB.Y8QT
Mapcode Global: FRA 16RY.RDN
Entry Name: United Methodist Church and Church Hall Adjoining to East
Listing Date: 18 December 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1104938
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91933
Location: Holsworthy, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Holsworthy
Built-Up Area: Holsworthy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Holsworthy St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
S3403 HOLSWORTHY CP BODMIN STREET (North side)
16/30 United Methodist Church and
Church Hall adjoining to East
Methodist Church and Church Hall. Stated to be 1909-10 an site of earlier chapel but the same
appearance as the 1876 chapel with added tower. Architect Samuel Parsons, builders Messrs Parsons and
Glover of Holsworthy. Early English style. Bath stone with Plymouth limestone dressings to facade, roughcast returns, slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, crocketed finials flanking gable ends on facade.
Plan: 4-bay apsidal basilica with gallery over entrance (south), vastry in south-west corner, stairs
to gallery via south-east tower and church hall abutting to east. Gabled facade with 5-
light window over gabled porch inscribed 'United Methodist Church 1910', double doors,
flanked by 2-light windows under continuous hoodmoulds, shallow raking buttresses, 2-
light window at base of 2-stage octagonal crenellated tower with spire, louvred bell
openings and clock. Depressed pointed arch opening to alley between church and hall.
Gable fronted hall, 2-light window over gabled porch flanked by 2-light windows.
Interior of church rendered. Fine serpentine-curve gallery with pierced decorative
wooden panels carried on cast iron columns with decorative capitals. 5-bay hammer-beam
roof with pierced braces, corbels of green marble, metal ties, 4 trusses converging at
apsial end, ceiled and boarded roof. Good collection of fittings, pitch pine pulpit,
communion table and benches. Organ with stencilled pipes, built 1887 and subsequently
enlarged. Stained glass: 2 windows said to have been removed from the Wesleyan chapel
in chapel Street, Holsworthy, (not included in this list) others filled pastel-coloured
glass of Art Nouveau inspiration, internal doors part-glazed with coloured glass. Hall:
king-post roof, otherwise featureless. A good example of an early C20 Methodist church
with a large and enthusiastic community. (Anon, 1910-1960 The Methodist Church
Holsworthy Golden Jubilee Souvenir Brochure, 1960.)
Listing NGR: SS3421703696
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings