History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Soldon Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Holsworthy Hamlets, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8725 / 50°52'20"N

Longitude: -4.3782 / 4°22'41"W

OS Eastings: 232763

OS Northings: 110804

OS Grid: SS327108

Mapcode National: GBR K9.T8PP

Mapcode Global: FRA 16QS.N40

Entry Name: Soldon Manor

Listing Date: 18 December 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1104947

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91946

Location: Holsworthy Hamlets, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Holsworthy Hamlets

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Holsworthy St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Sutcombe

Listing Text

SS31SW HOLSWORTHY HAMLETS CP

6/41 Soldon Manor



Manor house. Mid C16, extended mid C17, some alterations early C18, hall shortened,
front walls raised and partly rebuilt, early-mid C19, south end gutted and roof partly
rebuilt mid C20. Random rubble local stone, granite dressings, quoins to rebuilt north
gable end, relieving arches to window openings in west wing, slate roofs, C20 brick
stack south gable end, stone stack at junction with wing behind second bay left,
rendered stack west gable end of wing. T-plan: truncated ceiled hall incorporating
through passage, to left staircase and panelled room inserted, end bay south gutted and
open to partly reconstructed roof space, west wing abutting central panelled room with
corridor in later outshot on north and west sides. East front: 2 storeys, irregular 5-
bay facade, 2-storey gabled porch projecting second bay right with 2-light stone
chamfered mullioned window under squarehood mould, coat of arms below (probably C19)
with initials N(icholas) P(rideaux) and date 1649, depressed pointed arch opening,
unmoulded; inner doorway depressed Tudor arch head wooden doorframe, moulded with
decorative spandrels, C19 framed and panelled door; to right small leaded 2-light
casement above 3-light stone mullioned hall window with hoodmould, wall below slightly
splayed out, to left of porch first floor two 2-light C20 wooden casements under wooden
lintels set below eaves and 3-light gabled stone mullioned window under hoodmould
beside porch, ground floor three 3-light stone mullioned windows without hoodmoulds; C20
random rubble garage abutting north gable end which has a date stone of 1646 set into
it. South front of west wing: one and a half storeys, 3 bays, all 3-light chamfered
stone mullions under hoodmoulds except for ground floor right which is 4-light, entrance
via gable porch centre, hoodmould of window reset as lintel; offsets of lean-to addition
end bay left. Interior: exposed joists to ceiling in hall, good moulded jambs to
fireplace against rear wall, straight stone lintel, bolt socket in wall to front door,
moulded doorframe to rear doorway, part of beam with sockets for joist that may have
been part of screens passage reset in cupboard to left of entrance, narrow staircase
rising against rear wall opposite, predating panelling in room adjoining which contains
an unusual wooden chimneypiece with depressed 4-centred arch head and blind niches on
either side, modern grate, C19 panelling in C16-style possibly incorporating some
earlier woork, end room open to roof space with C16 fireplace with chamfered wooden
lintel at first floor level and 3 cruck-type trusses with wind braces created C20; first
floor good early C18 bolection moulded surround to chimneypiece in bedroom above
panelled room, room above hall set at higher level with 5 pairs of collarbeam trusses,
re-enforced with extra collars, purlins removed; roof space to central 8 bays not seen,
said to be principal rafter roof. Later alterations make it difficult to ascertain the
date of the original structure, and whether it was ever an open hall house. A drawing of
the house in 1716 by Edmund Prideaux shows an upper storey to the hall which continued
one bay north with a crosswing abutting; there was another bay and outbuildings beyond.
(J.Harris, The Prideaux Collection of Topographical Drawings, Architectural History, 1964; E.Prideaux, Sutcombe Church and its Builders, 1913)


Listing NGR: SS3276310804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.