History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Little Torrington, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9374 / 50°56'14"N

Longitude: -4.1545 / 4°9'16"W

OS Eastings: 248715

OS Northings: 117543

OS Grid: SS487175

Mapcode National: GBR KL.PCC7

Mapcode Global: FRA 265M.R8Z

Entry Name: Cross House

Listing Date: 4 October 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105022

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91734

Location: Little Torrington, Torridge, Devon, EX38

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Civil Parish: Little Torrington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Little Torrington St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Great Torrington

Listing Text

LITTLE TORRINGTON
SS 41 NE
6/118 Cross House
4.10.60
II*

Country house. 1680-85 according to Pevsner with C18 alterations and further
remodelling in early C19. In mid C20 the house was reduced in size. Rendered stone
walls. Hipped slate double span roof. 2 rendered axial stacks.
Plan: Double depth plan, 3 rooms wide with large central stairhall. Originally there
were 2 flanking wings which presumably contained the service rooms. When Stow
House, the late C17 Grenville mansion in Cornwall, was demolished in 1720 some of its
fitments were transferred to Cross, including the staircase. Further modifications
took place in the early C19 when the exterior of the house appears to have undergone
remodelling. In the mid C20 the top storey of the house and its 2 wings were
removed.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 bay 7 window front, disposed 2:3:2, 12-pane
sashes on first floor, those to the right are early C19 whereas those at the centre
and left have thicker glazing bars suggesting they are original. 15-pane early C19
sashes on ground floor with contemporary insertion of off central doorway with semi-
circular fanlight over glazed door. Early C19 Tuscan portico of 4 granite columns
with heavy frieze and cornice. The original form of the front is retained in the
projecting keystones over the windows, the rusticated pilasters at either end, the
moulded plinth and slightly projecting central bay. One storey section of wall at
either end is all that survives of the 2 wings. The rear elevation has mainly early
C19 9, 12 and 15 pane sashes apart from 2 C19 French windows to the left and an C18
12-pane sash to right of centre on first floor. 2 6-panel doors-one to left of
centre and one at centre. Above the right-hand one is a flat doorhood on C17 or C18
carved consoles; the left-hand door has a reeded doorhood with dentilled cornice on
C17 or C18 console brackets.
Interior: Inaccessible at time of survey but recorded to contain an early Venetian
window at the rear. Fitments transferred from Stow include a very fine staircase of
3 flights around an open well with closed string and openwork carving in the Gibbons
style - Irish foliage, flowers, putti etc. Other fragments from Stow in other rooms.


Listing NGR: SS4871517543

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.