This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9671 / 50°58'1"N
Longitude: -3.9956 / 3°59'44"W
OS Eastings: 259969
OS Northings: 120528
OS Grid: SS599205
Mapcode National: GBR KT.M9MN
Mapcode Global: FRA 26JK.773
Entry Name: High Bickington Voluntary Control School
Listing Date: 16 February 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91718
Location: High Bickington, Torridge, Devon, EX37
Civil Parish: High Bickington
Built-Up Area: High Bickington
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: High Bickington
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
HIGH BICKINGTON HIGH STREET, High Bickington
SS 59 20
14/103 High Bickington Voluntary Control
Village school. Circa 1870, altered and enlarged probably in the late C19 or early
C20. Snecked square stone with ashlar dressings, partly rendered to rear. Gable-
ended C20 asbestos-slate roofs.
Plan: Range aligned north-south, facing the end of the high street to the east and
backing onto the churchyard of Saint Mary's (q.v.). One storey schoolroom range to
right and gatehouse cross wing to left with gabled attic storey above. Gabled cross
wing to rear of right-hand end. Late C19/early C20 corridor at rear of schoolroom
range with catslide roof and a small extension to the rear of the gatehouse cross
Exterior: Asymmetrical front. Plinth, and parapeted gables with shaped kneelers,
plain copings and finials. Three large gabled semi dormers to the schoolroom at the
right, which each have a large chamfered stone cross window with trefoil-headed
lights and a chamfered trefoiled circle in the apex above. Smaller right-hand dormer
without quatrefoil and with window rebuilt in the late C20 (with concrete lintel
etc.). Each dormer is flanked by stone chamfered mullioned 2-light windows (right-
hand dormer with window to left only). Windows have probably C20 metal casements.
Gabled gatehouse cross wing to the left has a first-floor stone chamfered mullioned
2-light window, chamfered arched niche above with dressed stone arch above and copper
bell within, and shallow segmental-pointed archway below with dressed stone
voussoirs. Two-storey outshut to left of gabled cross wing with small round-arched
first-floor window to front. Rear of gatehouse has first-floor light chamfered
mullioned stone window and shallow segmental-pointed archway below with dressed-stone
voussoirs. Circa 1900 ground-floor extension has a segmental archway with a pair of
large plank doors and a parapet above.
Interior: Archway has a pair of C19 chamfered ceiling cross beams with ogee stops.
Plank door to right with beaded wooden frame and wooden lintel, and pointed-arched
doorway to left with stone arch and plank door. Rest of interior not inspected,
except for the schoolroom where the C19 roof is ceiled.
A plan of High Bickington Rectory dated 1600 shows the Church of Saint Mary (q.v.)
and a range of buildings including a gatehouse in a similar location to the school.
Although there is no evidence of any older fabric in the school it is possible that
it stands on the site of an earlier building.
Souces: Devon Record Office.
Listing NGR: SS5997020531
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings