This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8877 / 50°53'15"N
Longitude: -4.26 / 4°15'36"W
OS Eastings: 241130
OS Northings: 112236
OS Grid: SS411122
Mapcode National: GBR KG.S8MQ
Mapcode Global: FRA 16ZR.D66
Entry Name: Church of St Petrock
Listing Date: 26 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 91601
Location: Newton St. Petrock, Torridge, Devon, EX22
Civil Parish: Newton St. Petrock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Newton St Petrock
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
NEWTON ST PETROCK NEWTON ST PETROCK
SS 41 SW
3/48 Church of St Petrock
Parish church. Mainly C15 and C16 but tower probably earlier and chancel reveals
Early English origins. Restored and enlarged in 1887 under the architect Samuel
Hooper of Hatherleigh. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, south aisle and chapel, west tower and south porch. The Early English
windows to the chancel along with the Norman font suggest the origins of the Church
but it was largely remodelled in the C15 and early C16 century when the south aisle
and porch were also added. The form of the tower suggests it might be pre-
Perdendicular. An extensive restoration took place in 1887 when the chancel was
extended by 3 feet, the former pews removed and the church reseated with benches in
which ancient woodwork was incorporated and some also used in the construction of
the pulpit. The roofs and most of the windows were renewed and new pinnacles set on
Exterior: 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, battlemented with obelisk finials. C20
2-light west window with simple tracery. Trefoiled belfry lights. North wall has 2
early C16 2-light mullion windows with segmental heads. To their east is
rectangular rood stair projection. Beyond that is an Early English or circa 1300 2-
light window with Y-tracery. Large late C19 Perpendicular style east window. The
east window of the aisle is debased Perpendicular of 3 lights. On the south wall of
the aisle are 3 late C19 Decorated style windows. C15 gabled porch with 4-centred
granite arch which has roll and hollow moulding and moulded imposts to jambs. Slate
sundial above dated 1723.
Interior: porch has completely restored roof. Granite south doorway with basket
arch and ogee and hollow moulding.
4-bay granite south arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with cup capitals and 4-centred
moulded arches. Pointed rubble tower arch. In north chancel wall is granite
doorway with depressed 4-centred arch which formerly led to rood loft but the steps
now lead to the pulpit.
Internal walls have C20 plaster apart from exposed stonework to west wall.
Roofs are all late C19 arch-braced construction. Pulpit re-uses old carved panels
depicting emblems of the passion. The benches also incorporate carving from the old
pews, probably dating to the C16 with some Renaissance motifs.
Norman tub front set on base incorporating medieval 3arnstaple tiles which are also
evident on the floors.
Listing NGR: SS4113012236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings