History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Petrock

A Grade II* Listed Building in Inwardleigh, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7767 / 50°46'35"N

Longitude: -4.0436 / 4°2'37"W

OS Eastings: 256010

OS Northings: 99444

OS Grid: SX560994

Mapcode National: GBR Q0.0K4G

Mapcode Global: FRA 27F1.6HK

Entry Name: Church of St Petrock

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105205

English Heritage Legacy ID: 93258

Location: Inwardleigh, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Inwardleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Inwardleigh St Petroc

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Hatherleigh

Listing Text

INWARDLEIGH INWARDLEIGH
SX 59 NE
10/145 Church of St Petrock
-
22.2.67
GV II*
Parish church. Late C15 and early C16 restored in 1899. Stone rubble walls,
rendered to tower. Gable ended slate roof.
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, west tower and south porch. Aisle may he an
early C16 addition.
Exterior: 3 stage west tower with diagonal buttresses, crenellated with crocketted
pinnacles which have fleur de lys finials. 2-light segmental-headed belfry
openings. Plain chamfered granite west doorway with 2-centred arch. Simple 2-light
mullion window with roundheaded lights above. North aisle has 3 early C16 3-light
granite mullion windows with round heads and square hoodmoulds. Granite north
doorway is recessed behind heavy square-headed frame with large hoodmould - it has 2
centred head with large quatrefoils in spandrels and carved jambs. Image niche
above with 2-centred head. East end of aisle has 3-light Perpendicular granite
window. Chancel east window is 3-light Perpendicular restoration in red sandstone.
South side of chancel has very narrow 4-centred head priest's doorway with square
hoodmould and carved date which is now illegible. 2-light C15 cinquefoil headed
mullion window to its left. Single storey gabled south porch has rebuilt 2-centred
arched doorway with projecting imposts.
Interior: porch has restored wagon roof. South doorway has restored 2-centred head
and original granite jambs with pyramid stops. Internal walls have C20 render. 4-
bay granite arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup capitals and 4-centred
arches. Plain tower arch. No chancel arch. C19 boarded wagon roofs. Some old
glass survives in east window of aisle with human figures. Good Norman cushion font
with flower and star carving on panels, bands of ornament to shaft and plait
moulding at base.
Several slate floor memorials survive of C16, C17 and C18 dates.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Okehampton Kelly's Directory
1906.


Listing NGR: SX5601099444

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.