History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nichols Nymet House

A Grade II Listed Building in North Tawton, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8053 / 50°48'19"N

Longitude: -3.8573 / 3°51'26"W

OS Eastings: 269224

OS Northings: 102287

OS Grid: SS692022

Mapcode National: GBR L0.YNLN

Mapcode Global: FRA 26TY.T8W

Entry Name: Nichols Nymet House

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105331

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92954

Location: North Tawton, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: North Tawton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: North Tawton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Bow

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2013


SS 60 SE
6/71
22.2.67


NORTH TAWTON
Nichols Nymet House


(Formerly listed as Nichols Nymet House Hotel)


GV II


Country house, previously a hotel. Dated 1816 with later C19 additions. Rendered
stone rubble walls with rusticated stucco quoins at front. Shallow pitched hipped
slate roof with wide overhanging eaves. 2 rendered axial stacks symmetrically
placed.
Plan: double depth plan with rooms arranged around central large stairhall.
Principal rooms at front and side. Service rooms at rear. Kitchen behind left-hand
front room. Later C19 additions at the rear and left-hand side.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window front with original hornless sash
windows - 20 panes on the ground floor and 16:12:16 panes on first floor, the
central one with an arched head. The central section is recessed slightly and has
original double part-glazed doors with semi-circular fanlight above. This is under
an open-fronted verandah-type porch with slender iron pillars. The 2 outer sections
have splayed corners and on the left-hand one is an inscribed date-stone of 1816.
The right-hand elevation has a 2-storey hipped roof porch with C19 glazed doors.
Later C19 leantos at rear.
Interior: entrance hall has 3 tall arches at rear on wooden columns, the central
wider one is over the staircase. The staircase is original with open string, square
balusters and turned newels. The former kitchen has a large open fireplace.

Listing NGR: SS6922402287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.