This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4866 / 50°29'11"N
Longitude: -4.0589 / 4°3'32"W
OS Eastings: 254037
OS Northings: 67221
OS Grid: SX540672
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.LTG7
Mapcode Global: FRA 27DR.SNK
Plus Code: 9C2QFWPR+JC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105442
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92708
Location: Meavy, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Meavy
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Tagged with: Church building
SX 56 NW
4/104 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Norman core with some C13 fabric, the remainder C15. Stone rubble
walls, coursed granite to tower with some dressed stone. Gable-ended slate roofs to
nave, aisle, transept and porch.
The plan comprises nave, chancel, south transept, south aisle, south porch, west
tower and vestry on north side of chancel. The oldest feature of the church is the
square north pier to the chancel arch, apparently of Norman date. The church was
totally reconstructed in the C13 from the evidence of the chancel with the South
Chapel probably early C14; it may have been cruciform although only the south
transept now survives and this contains no features earlier than C15. The fact that
the tower is unbuttressed suggests that it may be pre-C15 but its west window and
doorway are Perpendicular in style. The south aisle and porch were added in the
C15. A vestry was built onto the north side of the chancel in the C19.
3 stage unbuttressed tower, battlemented with small crocketted pinnacles and moulded
plinth. The west doorway is of richly moulded granite with a pointed arch and
quatrefoils in the recessed spandrels. It has a heavy square hoodmould. 3-light
Perpendicular west window, granite with moulded surround. The stringcourse arises
above it as a hoodmould. Belfry openings of 1 and 2 light with arched heads.
Square stair turret on north side of tower with slit lights. On the north side the
nave has a late C15 3-light window with cinquefoiled heads - the central one taller
-towards the West end. To its left is early C16 4-light window with segmental heads
to the lights and square hoodmould. Beyond that is a rectangular projection for
the rood stairs. To its left (east) the C19 vestry projects at right angles. The
north window to the chancel is very late Perpendicular of 3 round-headed lights,
The East window is an Early English 3-light lancet. The south chapel has a circa
early C14 east window of 2-lights with Y-tracery and a similar window on its south
wall. To the left of this is a late C15 arched granite window with 2 cinquefoiled
lights. Between the 2 windows is the small granite priest's door with round-headed
arch, simple roll moulding and decorated spandrels. The 2 windows to the south
transept and the aisle to its west are Perpendicular of 3-lights in granite. The
single storey C15 south porch has a stone cross at its apex. Heavily moulded 4-
centred arched granite outer doorway with moulded plinth to the jambs and arched
Interior: The south porch has a chamfered granite cornice below the moulded wall
plate which projects at intervals marking the former position of ribs which would
have formed a moulded wagon roof. The bowl of the holy water stoup is carved in the
shape of a grotesque face. C15 south doorway has pointed granite arch with hollow
and convex moulding and double stops. The south aisle has a 3 bay arcade with a
further arch dividing the chancel and south chapel. Pevsner A-type piers with deep
cup capitals and bases; the 2 arches to the aisle are 4-centred whereas that to the
transept has a shallow segmental head and the arch from chancel to chapel has a
depressed 4-centred head. On all, the mouldings run up from the piers.
The chancel arch has a tall 4-centred head, it runs down on the left to a square
pier of alternating Dunstone and red sandstone, with chamfered edges which each have
a carved ram's head at the top - these suggest a Norman date. Very plain tall tower
arch. In the north wall of the nave is a small moulded granite arched doorway,
originally leading to the rood screen which was removed in 1840. A hagioscope gives
a view of the altar from the south chapel.
The chancel roof is a complete probably C19 restoration. The wagon roof to the nave
appears to retain its original principal rafters which are moulded and terminate in
drop pendants. The large bosses may have been restored with some of the other
timbers although the wall-plates appear mainly original. The south chapel retains
its very large original elaborately carved bosses which include ones of Christ's
head, a dying stag, a lioness and a woman's head. The south aisle and transept
roofs have been at least partially restored. The octagonal granite font is probably
C16 with simple shaft and chamfered base; its panels are decorated with devices such
as shields, the keys of St. Peter and sword of St. Paul.
The marble reredos is of 1884 by J.D. Sedding. The oak stalls in the chancel with
carved animals and birds were installed in 1892.
Although it does not retain much of its early fittings this church preserves a
largely medieval fabric with traces of an earlier building; it is notable for the
survival of a number of early windows dating from the C13 to the C16.
Sources: Beatrix Cresswell - Churches in the Deanery of Tavistock; Kelly's Directory
Listing NGR: SX5404167221
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings