This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4939 / 50°29'38"N
Longitude: -4.1301 / 4°7'48"W
OS Eastings: 249008
OS Northings: 68177
OS Grid: SX490681
Mapcode National: GBR NX.L6YX
Mapcode Global: FRA 277R.GS9
Plus Code: 9C2QFVV9+HX
Entry Name: The Gift House
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105461
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92658
Location: Buckland Monachorum, West Devon, Devon, PL20
Civil Parish: Buckland Monachorum
Built-Up Area: Buckland Monachorum
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
BUCKLAND MONACHORUM BUCKLAND MONACHORUM
SX 46 NE
3/58 The Gift House
House, originally reputedly almshouses. C17, possibly 1661, with C20 extension.
Stone rubble walls with granite dressings. Gable ended slate roof. 2 rendered
Original plan of 2 rooms heated by gable end stacks, central passage and small
unheated room in a wing at rear. Winder stairs adjoining this wing in projection
behind right-hand room. Extended in C20 on the side of the rear wing.
2 storeys. Regular 2 window front of 2 light granite mullion windows, probably
partially restored in C19. Round-headed chamfered granite arched doorway at centre
may be original. Above it is a square-headed niche with an arched niche either
side, all are empty. At rear is wing to the right with gabled dormer window on its
inner face; the wing has been extended in late C20 on the right-hand side. To the
left of the wing is a shallow rectangular stair projection.
Interior preserves a number of good quality original features. The left-hand room
has a ceiling of heavy cross beams, chamfered with hollow step stops; similarly
decorated joists inbetween, some have been renewed. The beam above the passage
partition has mortices in its soffit showing it was orginally the head-beam for a
screen. The passage has joists with moulded edges. Original square-headed wooden
doorframe survives from passage into right-hand room, it is chamfered with worn
stops. Contemporary plank and studded door with beading to edges of planks and
strap hinges; the right-hand room has heavy chamfered cross-beams, a pyramid stop is
visible on one; joists in between have moulded edges. Original winder stairs have
chamfered newel posts and simple hand rail at top with worn chamfer to newel and
small rough finial. Another C17 door survives on the 1st floor similar to that on
ground floor. Roof trusses are circa late C17/early C18: substantial principal
rafters with trenched purlins, morticed apex and collars halved onto the trusses;
there is a similar truss over the rear wing.
According to documentary evidence in 1661 Sir Francis Drake, the 2nd Baronet, left
£120 to build an almshouse near the church for 'six' pious persons, born and bred in
the Parish" and this document reputedly refers to The Gift House.
Source: "Buckland Bonachorum" - Alice Bere
Listing NGR: SX4900868177
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings