This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4819 / 50°28'54"N
Longitude: -4.1949 / 4°11'41"W
OS Eastings: 244375
OS Northings: 66972
OS Grid: SX443669
Mapcode National: GBR NT.M29X
Mapcode Global: FRA 273S.7LH
Plus Code: 9C2QFRJ4+P2
Entry Name: Maynard School
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105484
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92614
Location: Bere Ferrers, West Devon, Devon, PL20
Civil Parish: Bere Ferrers
Built-Up Area: Bere Alston
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
BERE FERRERS STATION ROAD, (Bere Alston)
SX 46 NW
2/25 Maynard School (Bere Alston
School. Dated 1665, considerably altered and extended in C19. Rendered rubble walls
with chamfered plinth. Gable ended asbestos slate roof with decorative ridge tiles.
Plan originally probably comprised 2 large school rooms, either side of an entrance
passage, the left-hand room ran back at right angles. It is not clear whether the
original building incorporated accommodation for the schoolmaster or pupils. Adjoin-
ing rear wing which may be original as a thin brick wall divides it from the C19 rear
wing to its right.
One storey with inserted attic. Asymmetrical 3 window front with a projecting gable
to left which has tall 4-light chamfered granite mullion window with arched heads and
square hoodmould. To its right is segmental headed granite doorway with roll
moulding and scroll stops, carved leaf design to spandrels and flower motif to labels
of hoodmould. Date stone of 1665 above. Probably C19 ribbed plank door. To its
right are 2 3-light granite mullion windows, chamfered and square-headed with
hoodmoulds. At rear of this section is smaller similar 2 light window without
hoodmould re-used in an outshut. At right gable end is similar window to that at
front of bay. 2 gabled rear wings have C19 casements of 4 and 2 lights with
reproduction hoodmoulds and there are similar windows along the left-hand side of the
No original features visible internally.
This building was founded as a charity school for 8 pupils by Sir John Maynard who
was Lord of the manor 1646 until his death in 1690. It is the oldest known purpose-
built school building in Devon.
Source: present Headmaster of school.
Listing NGR: SX4437566972
Other nearby listed buildings