This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5907 / 50°35'26"N
Longitude: -4.2529 / 4°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 240624
OS Northings: 79200
OS Grid: SX406792
Mapcode National: GBR NQ.D5DT
Mapcode Global: FRA 17ZH.WF4
Plus Code: 9C2QHPRW+7R
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage and House Adjoining at the North
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105524
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92504
Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19
Civil Parish: Milton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 47 NW MILTON ABBOT MILTON ABBOT
10/262 The Old Vicarage and house
- adjoining at the north
Vicarage, now divided into 2 properties. 1837 (datestone) by Edward Blore. Rock-
faced stone with plinth brought to course with stone dressings. Gabled slate roof
with rock-faced stone stacks with diagonally-set grouped ashlar chimney shafts with
moulded caps. Tudor style with mullioned windows and an irregular plan of 2 parallel
blocks with a crosswing to the left (south) and a lower service wing to the right
(north). The service rooms to the north under a lower roofline are now a separate
property. 2 storeys. The main entrance elevation faces east and has an asymmetrical
5-bay front, the 2 right-hand bays are the former service wing. The 3-bay main block
has the slightly projecting gable of the crosswing to the front at the left-hand with
a coped gable with kneelers and a pinnacle. Similar smaller gable to the left-hand
end of the service wing which has a large projecting stack with paired chimney
shafts. The porch, in the second bay from the left has a coped gable, kneelers and a
pinnacle. The pointed arched outer doorway has a hoodmould and a half-glazed door
with 3 pointed lights with timber Gothic tracery. 1-, 2- and 3-light windows on the
east elevation have casement windows with glazing bars, the 2- and 3-light windows
with moulded stone architraves and chamfered mullions. The larger windows to the
main block have hoodmoulds, the service wing has a 2-light transomed stair window.
The garden elevation, facing south, is gabled to the south at the left-hand end and
has a gabled projection with a ground floor 4-light bay window. Contemporary
fenestration with mullioned windows intact. The west elevation has a 2-tier canted
bay with a pyramidal slate roof, contemporary fenestration intact. There is a small
C20 single-storey addition on the west elevation.
Interior Principal rooms not inspected but said to be complete. The property which
was formerly the service wing has a modernized interior but retains a contemporary
stair with stick balusters and a ramped handrail and a cellar stair with cast iron
The roof profile with tall chimney shafts makes an important contribution to the
centre of Milton Abbot village.
Correspondence in the Bedford Estate Papers shows that the original designs for the
vicar by Blore were supervised and altered by the 6th Duke of Bedford and the
Bedford Estate Papers, D.R.O., Devon Letters L 1258/89.
Listing NGR: SX4062579202
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings