This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5735 / 50°34'24"N
Longitude: -4.2676 / 4°16'3"W
OS Eastings: 239527
OS Northings: 77315
OS Grid: SX395773
Mapcode National: GBR NQ.F7MW
Mapcode Global: FRA 17YK.37K
Entry Name: Leigh Barton
Listing Date: 21 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92450
Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Milton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT
9/208 Leigh Barton
Farmhouse. Early C16 with alterations of 1847 for the Duke of Bedford. Hurdwick
stone rubble with a slate roof gabled at ends, 2 gable end stone stacks and 1 stone
stack on the ridge. The present building is probably a fragment of a large courtyard
plan house which is likely to have been the "Leigh" referred to as one of the
original endowments to Tavistock Abbey. The original plan of the surviving range may
have been 3 rooms and a through passage with an open hall associated with a stack and
a ceiled heated inner room. The roof trusses are not smoke-blackened and are
consistent in design throughout the length of the range and appear to be early C16.
The trusses are paired above the former passage. The ceiling of the inner room also
appears to be early C16 as does the ceiling of small rectangular room possibly an
oriel, giving off the inner room. Alternatively, there may have been a great chamber
and no open hall, although there is no visible evidence of an early fireplace at
first floor level. The present plan is under a 2-span roof, the rear span is an
addition and may represent the re-roofing of a stair turret at the rear of the inner
room, the adjoining oriel and the provision of a later stair at the rear of the
former through passage. A rear right wing forms an L-plan. 2 storeys. 5-bay
asymmetrical front appears to have been largely refaced in 1847 (datestone), when the
house was refenestrated and the mullioned windows were removed to Morwell (Tavistock
Hamlets). Slightly advanced gabled bay in the centre has 1847 in the gable and may
represent either the stub of early wing or a desire for symmetry in 1847. The plinth
appears to be original only to the left of the central bay which has a 3-light C19
timber casement window with a high transom and a similar smaller window to the first
floor. Off-centre moulded segmental granite doorway to the right of the central bay.
Ground floor window right is a 3-light C19 timber casement with high transom. The
remaining windows are 2-light C19 casements, 8-panes per light, the first floor
windows being half-dormers with slate-hung gables. A variation in the plinth at the
right-hand end of the front suggests that rebuilding has occured at the right end,
which contains a blocked chamfered architrave for a mullioned window and a chamfered
ogee-headed slit window at approximately the level of the first floor. In addition,
the right-hand end also appears to have 2 blocked quatrefoil lights.
Interior 12 trusses with principals with curved feet which appear to be raised
crucks. The trusses have cambered chamfered collars mortised into the principals
with the chamfers continuing on to the principals. 2-tiers of chamfered purlins and
a diagonally-set ridge, original rafters intact. The trusses are paired over the
former through passage but otherwise identical. At the lower end the principals rest
on a moulded timber bressumer visible in one upstairs room. The inner room has a
fine ceiling with long moulded axial beams carried on moulded granite corbels. The
beams have wide bar run out stops. Moulded granite fireplace. The small rectangular
room giving-off the inner room has 3 less elaborately moulded axial beams with stops.
There was formerly a solid wall with a small doorway between this and the inner room,
the wall has been removed. The middle room has a large moulded granite fireplace. 3
moulded granite corbels to the front wall presumably formerly supported cross beams.
A blocked chamfered arched doorway on the rear wall is puzzling. The lower end room
has a good mid C19 chimney piece. Some evidence for the scale of the original build
at Leigh is apparent from numerous moulded and worked granite stones in the garden
including what may be gatepier finials with blind flamboyant tracery.
Finberg states that the location of the "Leigh" refered to in the Tavistock Abbey
documents cannot be identified with certainty.
H. P. R. Finberg, Tavistock Abbey (1969).
Listing NGR: SX3952777315
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings