This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5855 / 50°35'7"N
Longitude: -4.2764 / 4°16'34"W
OS Eastings: 238949
OS Northings: 78671
OS Grid: SX389786
Mapcode National: GBR NP.DKDH
Mapcode Global: FRA 17XJ.CSB
Entry Name: The Salmon Larder and Ice House
Listing Date: 6 October 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105548
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92465
Location: Milton Abbot, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Milton Abbot
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT ENDSLEIGH
9/223 The Salmon Larder and Ice House
Salmon Larder and ice house, sometimes known as "the dairy". Circa 1814 for the 6th
Duke of Bedford, probably by Sir Jeffry Wyatville. Largely obscured by a tarpaulin
at time of survey, 1985, prior to proposed repairs for the Landmark Trust. Hurdwick
ashlar with the remains of a pyramidal wooden shingle roof, formerly thatched. A
small Picturesque block, 5 sided at the east end and built into the slope of the land
with an ice-house and cellar below the salmon larder which has a walkway with a
parapet with a chamfered string round the east end. The north side has a gothick
portico with pointed chamfered arches and the south side, facing the Dairy Dell, is
gabled out on rustic posts resting on the parapet wall. The gable has ornamental
bargeboards and Gothick moulding and matches the rustic porch of the Dairy Dell
Cottage (qv). Fenestration boarded over at time of survey, 1985 but appears to
consist of an arched timber Gothick window to the east bay of the larder and high
transomed casement windows to the north and south, all with diamond leaded panes.
Interior At the west opposed flights of steps lead down to the ice-house and cellar.
A third flight of steps leads up to the salmon larder which has walls lined with
white tiles, some with an ivy leaf pattern as a border to 7 recesses in the walls. A
range of slate sinks round the walls is bordered with a continuous drain which
carried running water. A central table in the larder has an octagonal slate top
carried on 8 slate arches above an octagonal drain. The cellar below the larder has
a plain arched stone vaulted roof. A small semi-circular projecting oven has a grid
at the top and a small flue above set in a niche and may have been used for making
A letter from Wyatville date 1814 states "There is also no doubt of the Dairy
proceeding as the last letter I had from the Duke mentions the matter as nearly
decided upon, but requesting sketches".
Bedford Estate Papers, D.R.O., Devon Letters, L 1258/82.
Listing NGR: SX3894978671
Other nearby listed buildings