This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6429 / 50°38'34"N
Longitude: -4.2829 / 4°16'58"W
OS Eastings: 238685
OS Northings: 85066
OS Grid: SX386850
Mapcode National: GBR NP.8XBP
Mapcode Global: FRA 17XC.P9L
Plus Code: 9C2QJPV8+5V
Entry Name: The Old Manor
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105559
English Heritage Legacy ID: 92392
Location: Lifton, West Devon, Devon, PL16
Civil Parish: Lifton
Built-Up Area: Lifton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 38 NE LIFTON LIFTON
2/148 The Old Manor
House adjoining and formerly part of the Old Rectory (q.v.). Early to mid C16 with
C18 and C19 alterations, late C20 alterations to plan and fenestration throughout.
Rendered stone with massively thick front wall and 2-span slate roof gabled at ends.
Rendered stacks at gable ends of front block, brick stack in valley between roofs.
The C16 plan has been obscured by later alterations, but the core of a grand house
exists at the left end of the existing house and running at right angles to it. The
early house may have been 2 storeys with a principal first floor chamber, or an open
hall in association with a stack. In the C18 when the house was extended to the left
(now a separate property) the Old Manor was probably refronted and the axis of the
roof changed. C19 and C20 alterations include a rear right kitchen and considerable
replacement of joinery. 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window front with plastic 2-leaf
glazed front door and plastic pivot-hung late C20 windows replacing timber casements
Interior At right angles to the facade, at the left, is a fine 3-bay moulded arched
brace roof, probably of chestnut, with a heavy roll moulding. The principals have
curved feet and are probably raised crucks. Rafters, 3-tiers of trenched purlins and
1 wind brace survive, the ridge was diagonally-set. The timbers are not smoke-
blackened. There is no evidence of an original fireplace at first floor level. The
ground floor fireplace has been rebuilt and the lintel replaced. A massive beam
(axial to the early roof) and exposed joists look largely replaced, and the stack at
the left end of the front block appears to be an insertion. Adjacent to the rebuilt
fireplace is an intact, probably C19 range for cream-making. A C16 chamfered arched
shouldered timber doorway, formerly described as being on the ground floor, is now on
the first floor and blocked.
The house was formerly the manor house and probably became the rector's residence in
1555 when William Harris of Hayne purchased the manor (Kellys, 1906).
Listing NGR: SX3868485062
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings