History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovecote About 10 Metres North West of the Manor Hotel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lewtrenchard, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6541 / 50°39'14"N

Longitude: -4.182 / 4°10'55"W

OS Eastings: 245855

OS Northings: 86095

OS Grid: SX458860

Mapcode National: GBR NT.85NH

Mapcode Global: FRA 274B.SQB

Entry Name: Dovecote About 10 Metres North West of the Manor Hotel

Listing Date: 7 November 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1105586

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92356

Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Thrushelton

Listing Text

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/110 Dovecote about 10m north west of
- the Manor Hotel

GV II*


Dovecot. Late C19 designed by Sabine Baring-Gould for himself. Dressed stone with
granite dressings and scantle slate roof. Remarkable design, semi-circular to the
front but flat to the rear with steeply-pitched conical roof gabled to the rear and
crowned by a pinnacle. 2 stages to dovecot marked by roll-moulded granite rat-guard
string. At the front the roof is carried out over exposed rafters. Gablerd entrance
for birds in roof at front has a rectangular granite opening below a grand semi-
circular pediment crowned by an obelisk pinnacle. Similar pinnacles to either side
of the pediment. Dove holes in front have semi-circular granite flight ledges
carried on granite corbels. To the rear the gable is filled with characteristic
Baring-Gould slate-hanging carried out over moulded bressumers. Door at rear. The
dovecot is an important foil to the pavilion at the south east of the house (see
Manor Hotel). The Reverend Sabine Baring-Gould (1834-1924) was both squire and
parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his death, and rebuilt Lew House, now the
Manor Hotel. He was a High Churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction and
theological works.


Listing NGR: SX4584586097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.