This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5339 / 50°32'2"N
Longitude: -4.1563 / 4°9'22"W
OS Eastings: 247277
OS Northings: 72680
OS Grid: SX472726
Mapcode National: GBR NW.HL7C
Mapcode Global: FRA 275N.BL0
Plus Code: 9C2QGRMV+HF
Entry Name: Group of Farm Buildings Including Range of Stabling with Attached Cattle Shed, Dung Pit and Bank with Attached Cart Shed About 20m West of Crowndale
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94023
Location: Tavistock, West Devon, Devon, PL19
Civil Parish: Tavistock
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 47 SE
Group of farm buildings including range of stabling with attached cattle shed,dungpit and bank with attached cart shed about 20m west of Crowndale
Range of stabling with attached cattle shed,dung pit and barn with attached cart shed.Mid C19 with addition to cart shed dated 1885.Granite and slatestone rubble with slate roofs.Stable range to west with cattle shed attached to east,barn to south with cart shed attached to north;buildings enclose farmyard with triangular dung pit in centre. Stabling has two-storey central gable end fronted bay with central door and upper loading door,with splayed stone heads,five-bay single-storey range to left and right,each with five doors.Range extended to front right in L-plan by single-storey wing with door and upper door under eaves,with grindstone set in front wall;further extended by six-bay open-fronted cattle shed with granite piers,infilled with rubble and with corrugated iron roof,end wall collapsed.Barn has gable to front left with cart entry with stone segmental head,loading door above with granite cill and lintel, small blocked opening over,large quoins;to right barn has door and two windows at ground floor,seven ventilation slits under eaves.Attached to front left in L-plan,an open-front cart shed of ten bays, two central bays closed,bays right and left with square granite piers,brick repairs to quoins and gable end dated 1885.Gable end of barn to right has three lower and one upper ventilation slit,rear at higher ground level with rear wing with ventilation slits and outshut to left.Interiors not accessible,but said to have crown post roofs throughout.Triangular shaped dung pit in centre of yard,built on slope of ground,has rubble walls with granite copings,walls about one and a half metres high at lower side, rising with slope of ground to about five metres high at upper side,about fifteen metres long east three west and about thirty-five metres north/south,with three-gate openings at upper level and one gateway at lower end with plain granite piers.This Estabte farmstead,with its open dung-pit, forms interesting comparison with the much more sophisticated type at Kilworthy House (qv),(also part of the Duke of Bedford's Estate) where the cattle sheds are built over the dung-pit.
Listing NGR: SX4727772680
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings