This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.509 / 50°30'32"N
Longitude: -4.0992 / 4°5'56"W
OS Eastings: 251251
OS Northings: 69788
OS Grid: SX512697
Mapcode National: GBR NY.K8Y2
Mapcode Global: FRA 279Q.8VK
Entry Name: Horrabridge Methodist Church
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1105770
English Heritage Legacy ID: 93907
Location: Horrabridge, West Devon, Devon, PL20
District: West Devon
Civil Parish: Horrabridge
Built-Up Area: Yelverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
HORRABRIDGE STATION ROAD, Horrabridge
SX 56 NW
10/11 Horrabridge Methodist Church
Methodist church. Dated 1910 with near-contemporary church rooms attached to rear.
Coursed slatestone rubble with granite dressings, limestone window dressings, brick
dressings to church rooms, slate roofs with raised coped verges. Church has
auditorium aligned north/south, with transept and porch to west, schoolroom and
vestry in wing attached to west. Perpendicular style. West front elevation of 4
bays, to left with trefoil-headed lancet with hood-mould, second projecting bay has
2-centred arched window of 3 lights with trefoil heads, through mullions and hood-
mould, blind lancet above in gable end, granite quoins; third bay has similar flat-
headed 3-light window, end bay has single-storey porch, with double doors in moulded
4-centred arched surround, gabled over to inner, triple lancet with trefoil heads in
flat-headed surround to front, single lancet to outer side, diagonal buttresses to
porch, continuous plinth with foundation stones with initials and date. North
elevation canted at higher roof level to left forming apse in church, with 2-centred
arched 2-light window with quatrefoil in tracery in centre, similar single-light to
each side, roof hipped over; attached to rear, 1½-storey church rooms, formerly used
as schoolroom, with large 6-pane light, ½ half-glazed and 2-panelled.door with brick
dressings. South elevation has wide centre bay broken forward slightly, large
central 4-light window with through mullion and Y-tracery, single trefoil lancet left
and right, dressed granite plinth and blind lancet in gable end. East elevation has
2 flat-headed windows, both with through mullions, 2-light and 3-light as on front;
church room to rear has 2 large 6-pane lights and small gabled porch with plain door
and 2-light trefoil-headed window in gable end, brick dressings, similar granite
initialled foundation stones forming string course below cills of windows.
Interior main church has 3-bay roof with upper and lower arched-braces, collars and
2 rows of purlins, tall 2-centred arch at north end forming apse, 2 braces with
pierced trefoils in apse, organ chamber to west in transept.
Fittings; plain pitch pine pews, octagonal oak pulpit. Windows with stained glass in
art nouveau style, one east window with stained glass date 1946.
Listing NGR: SX5125169788
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings